I found this recipe and thought it would be perfect since I could easily make it in advance.
- 2 large vidalia onions, diced
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 oz. plain nonfat Greek yogurt, like Fage
- 6 oz. reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- carrots, celery, crackers, for serving
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and stir occasionally, letting them caramelized, about 40 minutes.
2. Transfer the onions to a bowl and let cool for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with salt.
3. Stir the Greek yogurt, sour cream and lemon juice into the onions until combined. Taste to see if you need to add more yogurt or sour cream.
4. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the top with cayenne pepper. Serve with vegetables, crackers, or chips.
* Dip can be refrigerated for 2 days before using.*
I couldn’t believe how fast this dip went. Everyone was gathered around it, dipping in carrots, celery and crackers. I didn’t think the caramelized onion flavor would really come through once it was cold, but I was surprised to find it did. The little sprinkle of cayenne added just a tiny kick of heat to really brighten this dip up. This will definitely be added to the make-again list!