To celebrate tonight Tom and some of my friends are taking me out to a Japanese steakhouse nearby. So I get sushi and steak! Can’t really ask for more than that. Then tomorrow, my friend Shannon and I are going to spend the day in DC. We’re going to the zoo and checking out some other free stuff. Maybe even the cherry blossoms since this recent stretch of warmer weather might have moved them along into the budding or blooming stage.
for the sorbet:
- 6 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 750ml bottle champagne, chilled
1. Add strawberries to a food processor or heavy duty blender (Vitamix or Blendtec) and puree until smooth.
2. Pour the strawberries through a fine mesh sieve over a large bowl. Use a spatula to press the strawberries through, leaving the seeds behind. Discard seeds.
3. Stir the basil into the strawberry puree. Set aside.
4. Combine sugar and water together in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar dissolves. Heat over medium-high heat and bring to a boil while stirring frequently.
5. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
6. Stir the simple syrup into the strawberry basil puree. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until chilled.
7. Process according to ice cream maker instructions and freeze.
8. To serve, place one scoop of sorbet into a champagne glass and pour chilled champagne on top.
These drinks are delicious and perfect for spring! (The sorbet is supposed to stay at the bottom of the glass but apparently my sorbet was feeling extra buoyant for its photo shoot.)