Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash is a light and refreshing summer cocktail made with fresh strawberries and basil, bourbon and a simple syrup. Bursting with fresh flavor, you'll love this drink on a hot summer day.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in June 2020. The photos have been updated in June 2022.
Bourbon is my favorite liquor and I love making new drinks that let me use it in different ways. Strawberries and basil are some of my favorite fruit and herbs so it was only a matter of time before some of my three favorite things met together in a tasty cocktail!
What is a strawberry basil bourbon smash?
A smash is a cocktail, served over ice, that highlights seasonal fruits and/or herbs. But after that, the cocktail is widely flexible to what you like.
LIQUORS IN A SMASH: bourbon or whiskey would be the most common, but you can also use vodka or brandy
FRUIT IN A SMASH: berries are the most common - strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and blackberries.
HERBS IN A SMASH: mint and basil are equally popular in smash drinks
- simple syrup
- club soda
HOW TO MAKE A STRAWBERRY BASIL COCKTAIL
- Combine strawberries, simple syrup and basil in a bowl. Muddle, or mash the strawberries until they release most of their juices.
- Transfer to a cocktail glass. Add ice and pour in the bourbon.
- Top with sparkling water, seltzer water or club soda.
- Garnish with a strawberry and mint leaf if desired.
Combine 1 cup of granulated sugar with 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar fully dissolves. This will keep in the fridge for 1 month. Alternately, most liquor stores sell premade simple syrup.
Place the ripe berries in a bowl or bottom of the cocktail glass and press down firmly in a twisting motion with a muddler or bottom of a wooden spoon to gently mash the berries and release their juices.
A cocktail including fresh fruit, optional herbs, and sugar (simple syrup) with liquor over crushed ice is a smash.
Check out what the other bloggers have made!
Improv Cooking Challenge: June 2020
Ingredients: Strawberries and Basil
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade by Making Miracles
- Grilled Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Strawberry Basil Topping by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Basil Crumb Bars by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Pasta Salad by Sneha's Recipe
- Strawberry Basil Avocado Toast by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Basil Smoothies by Our Good Life
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash by Cookaholic Wife
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash
- 4-5 medium strawberries tops removed and sliced in half
- 2 teaspoon simple syrup
- 4 medium fresh basil leaves
- 2 oz bourbon
- 4-6 oz sparkling water seltzer water or club soda, to taste
- whole strawberry and basil leaf for garnish
- crushed ice
- Combine the cut strawberries, basil and simple syrup together in a bowl. Mash until the strawberries release their juices.4-5 medium strawberries, 4 medium fresh basil leaves, 2 teaspoon simple syrup
- Transfer to a cocktail glass and fill with ice. Pour the bourbon on top.2 oz bourbon, crushed ice
- Add sparkling water, seltzer water or club soda to taste.4-6 oz sparkling water
- Garnish with a whole strawberry and basil leaf.whole strawberry and basil leaf
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
I've never been much of a bourbon drinker, but I sure would like to try your drink recipe. It looks refreshing!