Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash is a light and refreshing summer cocktail made with fresh strawberries and basil, bourbon and a simple syrup. Bursting with fresh flavor, you'll love this drink on a hot summer day.
As I've probably stated, oh a dozen times or more around here, bourbon is my drink of choice. I like it in a variety of ways, but I was looking for something different and quickly realized I had a lot of fresh and local ingredients at my disposal. Over the weekend, a local farm stand I frequently visit had a strawberry festival where they were offering up massive amounts of local Maryland strawberries, along with just about every other strawberry concoction you can think of.
If you haven't tried a locally grown strawberry, man are you missing out. Anyway... those adorable little strawberries, combined with the fresh basil growing in my garden seemed like the perfect combination for a drink.
WHAT IS A SMASH?
A smash is a cocktail, served over ice, that highlights seasonal fruits and/or herbs. But after that, the cocktail is widely flexible to what you like.
LIQUORS IN A SMASH: bourbon or whiskey would be the most common, but you can also use vodka or brandy
FRUIT IN A SMASH: berries are the most common - strawberry, blueberry, raspberry and blackberries.
HERBS IN A SMASH: mint and basil are equally popular in smash drinks
HOW TO MAKE A STRAWBERRY BASIL BOURBON SMASH
- Combine strawberries, simple syrup and basil in a bowl. Muddle, or mash the strawberries until they release most of their juices.
- Transfer to a cocktail glass. Add ice and pour in the bourbon.
- Top with sparkling water, seltzer water or club soda.
- Garnish with a strawberry and mint leaf if desired.
SIMPLE SYRUP - MAKE OR BUY?
That's entirely up to you. Its very easy to make your own simple syrup by combining 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved into the water, then transfer to a container with a lid and keep in the fridge for up to a month.
IMPROV COOKING CHALLENGE
The #ImprovCookingChallenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned to a month. Bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it features the two ingredients. If you are a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page. You can also read more about the event on our our home page. If you’d like to see previous creations, check out our Pinterest board.
Check out what the other bloggers have made!
Improv Cooking Challenge: June 2020
Ingredients: Strawberries and Basil
- Strawberry Basil Lemonade by Making Miracles
- Grilled Chicken Breasts with Balsamic Strawberry Basil Topping by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Basil Crumb Bars by Veggies First Then Dessert
- Strawberry Lemon Basil Pasta Salad by Sneha's Recipe
- Strawberry Basil Avocado Toast by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Basil Smoothies by Our Good Life
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash by Cookaholic Wife
WANT TO SAVE THIS RECIPE? PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD FOR LATER AND FOLLOW ME AT COOKAHOLICWIFE FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Strawberry Basil Bourbon Smash
- 4-5 medium strawberries tops removed and sliced in half
- 2 teaspoon simple syrup
- 4 medium fresh basil leaves
- 2 oz bourbon
- 4-6 oz sparkling water seltzer water or club soda, to taste
- whole strawberry and basil leaf for garnish
- crushed ice
- Combine the cut strawberries, basil and simple syrup together in a bowl. Mash until the strawberries release their juices.
- Transfer to a cocktail glass and fill with ice. Pour the bourbon on top.
- Add sparkling water, seltzer water or club soda to taste.
- Garnish with a whole strawberry and basil leaf.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.