A few years ago I was at my aunts house over the summer and watched her put a lattice top on a pie. I thought it looked way better than a typical closed top pie. That Christmas, I decided I wanted to make apple pie so I could use that lattice top. Never having made a pie before in my life, I decided to avoid making one with apple pie filling and make it with real apples.
What can I say, I’m an overachiever. My mom thought I was crazy, but I was determined to do this. So I went on allrecipes.com and found Emily’s Famous Apple Pie.
Apple PieEasy apple pie is great for Thanksgiving or any fall day.
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbs ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 pack of pie crusts
- 4 granny smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 gala apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put all of the sliced apples into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Place one of the pie crust into a 10 inch pie pan. Pour the ¾ of the sugar mixture over the apples and toss to coat.
- Put one layer of apples into the pie crust and shake a little more of the sugar mixture on top. Repeat.
- Put the top layer of apples into the pie.
- Roll out the other pie crust and cut into 1 inch strips.
- Put 4 strips of dough across the pie horizontally. Lift strips 1 and 3 and put a strip of dough vertically. Repeat from the opposite side.
- Lift strips 2 and 3 and put a strip of dough vertically. Repeat from the opposite side.
- Continue doing that until the lattice top looks the way you would like.
- Using a fork or your fingers, press down on the edges of the pie to make the lattice top as seamless as possible from the crust.
- Use a brush to put the egg yolk onto the dough.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
NotesYou can peel, core and slice all of the apples one (1) day before making the pie. Put them into a large bowl and squeeze ½ a lemon on top. Cover them securely with plastic wrap. This will stop them from browning.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
The first time that I made the pie I was actually crazy enough to use Best Pie Crust Ever recipe on allrecipes.com and make my own dough for the lattice top. It turned out but its just too easy to buy the premade stuff and avoid the hassle of covering yourself and your entire kitchen in flour.
Wanna hear the amusing part? Since my mom can’t cook anything, we didn’t have a chefs knife in the house…ever. So can you imagine peeling all of those apples with a vegetable peeler and then coring and slicing them with a steak knife? Its pretty freaking impressive I still have fingers!
When my other aunt came over for Christmas she asked me where I bought the pie. I looked at her funny and said that I made it, what was she talking about? She said that she had never seen a homemade pie look so good, especially the first time someone made one and that I should email it to my other aunt to show her.
** The picture above is the pie that I just made that is coming with Tom and I to his parents house tomorrow. Honestly, I’m disappointed. It doesn’t look nearly as good as it usually does. I don’t think I got the egg yolk everywhere and it didn’t brown properly. I know its still decent looking for a homemade pie, but I’m just a perfectionist and I’m really not happy with it.