Hot Milk Bundt Cake is an old-fashioned simple cake recipe that is sure to please everyone, especially with it's caramel frosting.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in May 2018 as part of the Bundt Bakers event group. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in June 2021.
Years ago, my job hosted a training and we had a local place cater the food for us. The dessert that they provided was hot milk cake. I had never heard of the cake before, but after taking just one bite, I knew that I needed to know more about it and that I definitely had to try making it!
What is hot milk cake?
Hot Milk Cake is an old-fashioned recipe, made with simple ingredients. The cake gets its distinct flavor from the milk, which is scalded in the preparation. I chose to make this cake in a Bundt pan, it is usually made in a square baking dish.
I also chose to make a caramel frosting to drizzle over the cake. It usually is served with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. It would also be delicious with a chocolate frosting, but this incredible cake really doesn't even need frosting. Just trust me on that one.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- For the Cake:
- unsalted butter
- whole milk
- eggs, at room temperature
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking powder salt
- For the Caramel Frosting:
- sweetened condensed milk
- brown sugar
🔪Instructions for this recipe
For the Cake
- First, preheat the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and butter and flour a Bundt pan.
- Then, prepare the scalded milk. Add the butter to a saucepan and cook over low heat until melted, then whisk in the milk and vanilla. Allow the mixture to heat up and bubble around the edges, then remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and sugar. Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Next, add the milk mixture to the mixer. While the mixer is running on low, pour in a little of the milk mixture, followed by half of the flour mixture. After that is mixed in, add the remaining milk mixture, followed by the remaining flour mixture.
- Time to bake the cake! Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake for an hour. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
For the Frosting
- Next, prepare the frosting. Combine sweetened condensed milk and brown in a saucepan. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla.
- Finally, decorate the cake! Once the cake has completely cooled, pour the frosting on top. Slice the cake into 12 slices and serve immediately.
FAQ's for this recipe
- Do I need to use whole milk? Yes, the fat content in whole milk is perfect for baking.
- What hot milk cake icing can I use? If you don't want my caramel drizzle or powdered sugar, you can make a buttermilk frosting (I'd go with chocolate) or a fudgy chocolate icing.
- Can I make hot milk cake in a pan? Yes, bake in a 9x13 baking dish (greased) for 25-30 minutes.
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Hot Milk Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Caramel Frosting:
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Add the butter to a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted. Stir in the milk and vanilla and heat until the mixture begins to bubble around the edges, but does not boil.
- Meanwhile, add the eggs and sugar to a mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda.
- Slowly pour some of the milk mixture into the mixer while it’s running. Add ½ of the flour mixture, then the remainder of the milk mixture, then remainder of the flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt Pan and bake for 1 hour.
- Let cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting over a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Combine the sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Then reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes, continuing to whisk. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Let cool for 10 minutes or until it is cool enough to handle, then pour over the cooled cake.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Southern Bundt Cakes
- Bourbon Praline Bundt Cake from The Sweet Sensations
- Bundt Cake Hummingbird from Merce`s Cake
- Buttermilk Bundt Cake with Caramel Icing from Sneha's Recipe
- Coconut Bundt Cake from Palatable Pastime
- Cream of Coconut Bundt Cake with Chocolate-Coconut Glaze from katin špajz
- Hot Milk Cake from Cookaholic Wife
- Kentucky Butter Bundt Cake from All That's Left are The Crumbs
- Key Lime Bundt Cake from I Love Bundt Cakes
- Lemon Drizzle Pound Cake from Food Lust People Love
- Peach Bundt with Cardamom Whipped Cream from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Peanut Butter Bundt Cake from Tartacadabra
- Sweet Potato Bourbon Bundt Cake from Patty's Cake