Colorful Creamy Coleslaw is a tangy and sweet dressing that's delicious on it's own, or perfect on top a pulled pork sandwich or burger!
Can I let you in on a little secret? It took years before I was ever willing to give coleslaw a change. I am not a big fan of mayo and that is a major component of coleslaw, so I just refused to eat the stuff for pretty much two decades.
Now that I've put that foolishness behind me and I am totally on board with the slightly tangy, slightly sweet flavors of coleslaw! So if you're looking for an easy, creamy coleslaw recipe, you've come to the right place.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- shredded cabbage - I like using a mixture of green and red (purple) cabbage in my coleslaw
- mayonnaise - everyone has their favorite, I tend to use mayo that is made with an olive oil base, but use what you prefer
- sugar - not everyone includes sugar in their coleslaw, but I like the balance that it provides
- apple cider vinegar - you need a little vinegar to create a tang in this recipe
- celery seeds - these taste like very mild celery and adds just a little something
- salt and pepper - none of the ingredients are very bold so make sure to season to taste!
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients together and stir until well coated.
- Then refrigerate coleslaw until ready to eat! (I taste test and see if it needs more sugar, salt or pepper just before serving!)
FAQ's and tips for the colorful creamy coleslaw
- Save time chopping up cabbage by purchasing coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage from the grocery store!
- To stop the purple cabbage from bleeding its color, wait until you are ready to serve before stirring it in.
- How much coleslaw should I serve per person? It's safe to estimate that each person will eat ½ cup of salad in most cases.
- How long will coleslaw be good in the refrigerator? About a week
- Why does my coleslaw get watery? I find this tends to happen more when using freshly chopped cabbage, which is why I prefer the shredded packaged stuff. But, you can reduce the water content in your coleslaw by salting the cabbage and placing it in a colander. The excess water will drain through.
- Why is my coleslaw bitter? You may have used too much vinegar so you can balance it out by adding more sugar, or even grating up an apple.
- What other ingredients can I add to coleslaw? Dijon mustard is pretty common. Apples, dried cherries, grapes, bell peppers also taste great in coleslaw.
What goes well with coleslaw?
- Pulled Pork
- Turkey Reuben - you can replace the sauerkraut with coleslaw if desired
- Fried Chicken
- Turkey Slub Sandwiches
- Reuben Hot Dogs
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Colorful Creamy Coleslaw
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Add all of the ingredients together in a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- For the best flavor, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.