Pork shoulder and my homemade Honey Whiskey BBQ Sauce are combined in the slow cooker to make the best pulled pork you’ve ever tasted!
Update: This recipe was originally posted in January 2016. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in June 2021.
I love a good pulled pork sandwich as much as the next person and I can guarantee that this is going to replace whatever recipe you were using before. It is just THAT GOOD! The homemade sauce doesn’t take long at all to whip up! And then it’s poured over the pork shoulder and cooked nice and slow until it all falls apart!
I go over my mom’s house a lot during the summer and we’re always trying to come up with different foods to eat other than burgers and hot dogs. I re-made this recipe for the last holiday weekend and it’s definitely going on the list to make again!
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- pork shoulder or pork butt
- honey whiskey bbq sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- potato rolls
Instructions for this recipe
- First, trim the pork of any large pieces of fat. (I hate when you bite into a sandwich and got the bite of the fat someone forgot to remove!)
- Then you’ll want to combine the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper in a bowl and spread that all over the pork.
- Place the pork into a 6 quart or larger slow cooker (I make clean up really easy by using slow cooker liners)
- Then pour the barbecue sauce over the pork and cook on low for 8 hours.
- After it’s done cooking, use two forks to shred up all of the pork, mixing it back into the sauce.
FAQ’s for honey whiskey pulled pork
- What is the best pork for pulled pork? I prefer a pork shoulder because it’s a good balance of meat to fat ratio.
- How long does it take to make pulled pork? I think pulled pork is best made low and slow, which is why this is a 8 hour slow cooker recipe. But, you could also try it in an Instant Pot, which should take about 70 minutes.
What to serve with this pork sandwich
- Creamy Coleslaw, Macaroni and Cheese, Fries, Potato Salad
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Honey Whiskey Pulled Pork
- slow cooker
- 3 lb pork shoulder
- ½ cup honey whiskey bbq sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8 potato rolls
- Trim the pork of any large pieces of fat.
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and pepper together in a bowl. Rub all over pork.
- Place pork in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker (lined with a liner for easier clean up) and pour honey whiskey BBQ sauce on top.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, then shred pork.
- To serve, pile pork on potato rolls, drizzling with extra bbq sauce if desired.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.