Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut is an easy slow cooker meal made with a pork loin, sauerkraut and some seasonings. Many believe that enjoying the meal on New Year's Day will bring you luck.
My husband's family has a tradition where they would eat pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day. It's a Pennsylvania Dutch and German tradition to eat this meal as it is supposed to give you good luck. I had never heard of this tradition before, but I thought it was a great one we could adopt. Are there any traditions you have adopted? Let me know!
What is slow cooker pork and sauerkraut?
I love how easy this recipe is! Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut is made with pork (roast or loin), sauerkraut and some easy other ingredients and cooked all day in the slow cooker.
Ingredients for this recipe
- Pork loin, tenderloin or roast (see FAQ below)
- brown sugar
- chicken or vegetable stock
- caraway seed
- salt and pepper
Instructions for this recipe
First, combine your ingredients in the slow cooker. Add the sauerkraut, onion, apple, brown sugar, stock and caraway seed to the slow cooker.
Next, season and sear the pork. Season the pork with paprika, salt and pepper. Then heat a large skillet over medium high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Cook the pork for 2-3 minutes on each side until it's just browned.
Then, transfer the pork to the slow cooker. Nestle the pork into the other ingredients in the slow cooker.
Finally, cook the pork. Cook the pork and sauerkraut on low heat for 6-8 hours. Shred the pork and serve!
I think the most classic thing you can serve with pork and sauerkraut is homemade mashed potatoes! Try my Perfect Creamy Mashed Potatoes and then to add in more veggies, I also serve Garlic Parmesan Green Beans with this.
FAQ's for this recipe
A pork loin roast or pork tenderloin can be used for this recipe. But, a tenderloin is a leaner cut of meat so you'll only need to cook it for 6 hours.
I love this meal served with mashed potatoes and green beans.
I do not drain or rinse my sauerkraut. Rinsing it would add water which could make it soggy.
Sauerkraut can be too sour for some. That's why I add in an apple and some brown sugar to this recipe.
You don't just need to make this recipe on New Year's Day however. Tom loves this recipe and I make it frequently throughout the winter since it's such an easy recipe. And, if the tradition is true that it brings luck, well, I'll take all of the good luck I can get!
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut
- slow cooker
- 2 lb pork tenderloin (See notes)
- 16 oz sauerkraut
- 1 medium apple peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker, add the sauerkraut, apple and onion slices, chicken stock, brown sugar and caraway seed.16 oz sauerkraut, 1 medium apple, 1 large onion, ½ cup chicken stock, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the pork tenderloin with salt, pepper and paprika. Add the pork to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until just browned.2 lb pork tenderloin, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- Transfer the pork to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Shred the pork into the sauerkraut. (See notes)
- Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.