Did you know that June is National Fruits and Vegetables month? I didn't, until I saw the theme for this month's Foodie Extravaganza. But it makes sense, the farmers markets and grocery stores are full of fresh produce. And most importantly, the price of strawberries and watermelon has finally went down!
(We eat a lot of strawberries and watermelon in this house.)
Anyway, this event is being hosted by Ellen of Family Around the Table. I couldn't decide what recipe to make for this. I debated on grilling. I debated on baking. And then I finally decided that the best way to showcase the fresh fruits and veggies was to simply make a salad.
I know some people cringe when they hear the word salad, the idea of flavorless, iceburg lettuce, sad shreds of carrot, past-their-prime cucumber slices and wrinkled grape tomatoes, covered with boring dressing. To me, that's the definition of salad in the 80's but thankfully salads have come a long way. I mean, there's over 10 varieties of lettuce in my grocery store now. And I feel like in the last decade or so, people have finally come past the idea that salad has to equate to diet and boring rabbit food.
There are so many options for salads and so many different ingredients to include. For this event, I decided to go with a simple fruit and veggie salad. The strawberries were so sweet on their own they hardly needed the dressing and honestly, there isn't much better than fresh slices of avocado.
Strawberry Avocado Salad
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup strawberries sliced
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ avocado sliced
- poppyseed dressing
- Add spinach, strawberries, blueberries and avocado to a bowl.
- Drizzle poppy-seed dressing on top.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
You could easily make this salad a full meal by adding a protein to it, like a grilled chicken breast, sliced steak or even prosciutto. We were having grilled chicken and potatoes for dinner, so I kept this simple as a side dish.
Here's what all of the other Foodie Extravaganza Bloggers Made:
- Farmers' Market Walk + Chilled Cantaloupe Soup with Preserved Lemon-Herb Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fresh Fruit Tart with Orange Curd by My Pinterventures
- Fresh Strawberry Salsa by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Fried Onion Strings by Family Around the Table
- Fruity Rice Paper Rolls by Sneha's Recipe
- Green Papaya Salad (Som Tum) by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Ratatouille by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Shaved Asparagus Pizza with Brie by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Spring Minestrone by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Avocado Salad by Cookaholic Wife
- Watermelon Lemonade by Caroline's Cooking