Jumbo Banana Chocolate Muffins are an oversized muffin made with mashed bananas and full of chocolate chips. They’re great for breakfast or dessert!
I think I was about 8 years old when I first went to “take your kid to work day” with my mom. I don’t remember much about the job or what I was supposed to learn there, but I do very distinctly remember a small shop in the building that sold the biggest muffins I’d ever laid eyes on and me talking my mom into buying me an enormous blueberry muffin.
Jumbo sized muffins make me think of office buildings, the smell of hot paper coming through a printer and pens with all different colors of ink. It’s funny how the brain associates memories like that, isn’t it?
What are jumbo banana chocolate muffins?
These oversized banana chocolate muffins are made with the same ingredients as a regular muffin; flour, sugar, vegetable oil, mashed bananas, milk, baking powder and salt. There’s a secret ingredient of cinnamon and of course, a bunch of chocolate chips.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- vegetable oil
- chocolate chips
- turbinado sugar
🔪 Instructions for this recipe
- Start off by preheating the oven. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a jumbo muffin pan with paper liners.
- Then mash your bananas. In a medium bowl, mash your bananas and add in the eggs, vegetable oil, milk, vanilla and sugar. Mix until combined.
- Next, whisk your dry ingredients. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Then pour into the muffin pans. Divide batter into muffin pans, filling each about ¾ of the way full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake the muffins. Bake the muffins for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to 375 and continue baking for 25 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool. Remove the muffins from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to let cool before enjoying.
FAQ’s for jumbo muffins
- What makes a muffin a jumbo muffin? Using additional baking powder will make a jumbo muffin rise to that classic dome look we expect to see on muffins. Otherwise, the ingredients are the same, they are just baked longer to make up for their size.
- Why are my muffins dense or tough? You may have measured the flour incorrectly or overmixed the dough. Use a spoon to scoop flour into a measuring cup and only mix the dough until no lumps of flour remain.
- Can I make these muffins regular sized? Of course. This recipe should make between 18-22 regular sized muffins.
- Can I freeze these muffins? Yes. Once they’re baked and completely cooled, tightly wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze for 2-3 months.
- Flour: you can substitute 1 cup of all purpose flour for the same amount of cake or wheat flour. Wheat flour will be denser, cake flour will be lighter.
- Milk: dairy or non-dairy milk can be used as well as buttermilk.
- Vegetable oil: unsweetened applesauce can replace vegetable oil. Canola oil would also work
- Chocolate Chips: mini chips, white chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips or even chocolate chunks can be used in this recipe.
The Improv Cooking Challenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned and bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it includes those ingredients. If you’re a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page, or if you’d like to see previous recipes we’ve made, please visit our Pinterest page.
The Improv Cooking Challenge ingredients for March are bananas and chocolate.
- Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Chocolate Banana Muffins from Cookaholic Wife
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie Bowl by Magical Ingredients
- Chocolate & Banana Pancake from Sneha’s Recipe
- Double Chocolate Banana Cake from Making Miracles
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Jumbo Banana Chocolate Muffins
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large bananas very ripe
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line jumbo muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas and then whisk in the sugar, milk, eggs, vegetable oil and vanilla until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and fold until just combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter to the prepared muffin pans and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375 and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.