Disclaimer: I received a bottle of Nielsen-Massey Organic Pure Lemon Extract in exchange for sharing a recipe. All opinions on the product are my own.
Have I mentioned before that I love lemon desserts? Lemon cupcakes, lemon bread, lemon muffins, lemon curd...it doesn't matter what kind of dessert it is, if it includes lemon, I want to have some.
While I tend to make most of my lemon desserts in the spring, I'm completely content to make them year-round.
Nielsen-Massey has recently introduced a new line of Organic Flavor Extracts; Almond, Lemon, Orange and Peppermint. The flavors are made with certified organic ingredients and are crafted with the same level of passion and attention to detail that has always set their products apart. (If you've ever used their products before, you'll totally know what I mean. If you haven't, I hope this is what convinces you to check them out.)
I'm working with them as part of their sampling team and was thrilled to receive a bottle of the Organic Lemon Extract to use in a recipe.
Lemon Crumb Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey organic pure lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
For the Filling:
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey organic pure lemon extract
For the Crumble:
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 10 inch springform pan with cooking spray and place on a baking sheet covered with foil.
- 2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined, then add in the butter and mix until crumbly.
- 3. Add in the eggs, lemon extract, vanilla extract and milk. Mix until combined.
- 4. Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan and spread to the edges. Tap on the counter to remove any air bubbles and settle the cake.
- 5. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar until combined, then add in the egg, lemon zest and lemon extract. Mix until combined, then spread this mixture on top of the cake batter.
- 6. In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, flour, brown sugar, sugar and salt. Sprinkle over the top of the cream cheese filling mixture.
- 7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set in the center. Allow the cake to cool completely before releasing the sides of the springform pan, transferring to a plate and slicing and serving. Store leftover cake in the refrigerator.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
If you've ever had a food give you heart-eyes, you'll have the same experience with this cake. Light and full of lemon flavor, with a sweet cream cheese middle and then the crumbly streusel topping makes this a cake that you're going to have a hard time only having one slice of.