Nutty parmesan cheese and earthy fresh sage pair perfectly with sweet potatoes in this easy Parmesan Sage Mashed Sweet Potatoes side dish.
Update: This recipe was originally shared in January 2016. The recipe and photos have been updated as of November 2020.
For most people, when you think about mashed potatoes, you think about mashed ‘white’ potatoes. Not sweet potatoes. Those are reserved for casseroles, which honestly, is just potatoes masquerading as dessert. But in this recipe the sweet potatoes are a savory side dish.
Years of my life were wasted not enjoying sweet potatoes. (Because I only ever encountered them mixed with brown sugar and topped with marshmallows) Unfortunately, I cannot get those back, but now I love sweet potatoes. Baked, cut into fries, mashed…I’m all in.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- sweet potatoes
- fresh sage
- Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Microwave the potatoes. Rinse, prick with a fork and microwave for 10 minutes or until tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle then scoop out insides of potatoes into a medium bowl.
- Mash the potatoes. Use a masher or fork to mash the potatoes, removing any lumps.
- Add the ingredients. To the bowl, add the butter, milk, sage, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
FAQ’s about sweet potatoes
- Can you really microwave potatoes? Yes! Personally, I find that boiling sweet potatoes makes them too watery so I prefer to cook them in the microwave. You could also bake them for an 45-50 minutes at 425, but who has that kind of time?
- Can mashed sweet potatoes be frozen? Cool completely and transfer to freezer safe bags. They’ll be good for a year.
- Are sweet potatoes healthy? They are carbohydrates so… However they are high in Vitamin A and have more fiber than white potatoes.
- Can you use dried sage instead? Sure, if you don’t have fresh sage you can use dried. 1 tablespoon fresh is equivalent to 1 teaspoon dried. For this recipe, use 2 teaspoons of dried.
Parmesan Sage Mashed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving table, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy them year-round. They pair really well with just about any type of protein.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Parmesan Sage Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes (about 2 large)
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop sage leaves.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice in half and scoop the insides of the sweet potatoes out. Place into a medium bowl.
- Use a potato masher or fork and mashed potatoes until no lumps remain.
- Add milk, cheese, butter, chopped sage leaves, salt and pepper. Stir until fully combined.
- Serve, garnished with additional Parmesan cheese and sage leaves if desired.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.