Although I almost never eat them plain, peaches are one of my favorite fruits. First I absolutely love the color of a peach with its skin removed. The pale orange gradually darkening into a deep mauve-ish color. Then there is the smell of peaches. It just screams ‘SUMMER!’ I could easily have my house smell like peaches year-round and be completely content.
It seemed like all through the winter when I would flip through my recipe binder for a muffin to make, I would always end up staring at this recipe and wishing peaches were in season. At the end of July I started thinking about these muffins, patiently watching the calendar until I thought it would be the perfect time to buy the peaches and make this recipe.
Peach Streusel Muffins
- 4 large peaches peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 ½ cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs. butter chilled and chopped
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅓ cup pecans chopped
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a large muffin tin and a mini muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line with paper or foil liners.
- 2. In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs and milk until combined. Set to the side.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together. Fold the yogurt mixture into the dry mixture until combined. Gently stir in the peaches.
- 4. Prepare the streusel by combining the flour and brown sugar together into a small bowl. Using a fork or your fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the pecans.
- 5. Scoop the muffin batter into the tins, filling the large ones ¾ of the way full and the mini ones all of the way. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the muffins and place both tins in the oven.
- 6. Bake the mini muffins for 20 minutes and the large muffins for 25-30 or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- 7. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.