Jalapeno Mustard Havarti Burgers are a spicy twist on a classic grilled burger. The burgers are topped with melty Havarti cheese, a spicy jalapeno mustard and served on a pretzel roll.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in July 2013. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in May 2021.
We tend to do a lot of grilling in the summer and I am always looking for new ingredients and toppings for burgers. If you like gooey cheese on a burger and some spice, you’ll love these burgers!
What is a Jalapeno Mustard Havarti Burger?
The best burger ever! (In my opinion, at least!) You’ll love these burgers because they are grilled beef patties, topped with Havarti cheese, spicy jalapeno-mustard, lettuce and tomato, served on a pretzel roll bun. I created this recipe after looking for a substitution for horseradish in a burger. Tom can spot horseradish in a recipe miles away and I found that jalapeno-mustard, while not the same, adds in a decent kick of spice.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
Instructions for this recipe
- Get that grill ready! Heat your grill to high heat.
- Season the beef. Sprinkle both sides of the patties with steak, burger or grilling seasoning.
- Then grill those burgers! Grill burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through. In the last minute or two of grilling, add the cheese on top until melted.
- Finally, assemble the burgers. Spread jalapeno-mustard on both sides of the pretzel bun. Layer lettuce and tomato on the bottom, followed by the burger. Top with pickled jalapenos.
FAQ’s for these burgers
- Is Havarti cheese good on burgers? Yes! Havarti is one of the best melting cheeses so it’s perfect for a burger.
- What is jalapeno mustard? Yellow mustard with pickled jalapenos mixed in. If you can’t find it in the store, any spicy mustard will do, or you can make your own.
- What other toppings can I add? Caramelized onions and or bacon would be delicious on this burger.
- What seasoning do I use on the burger? Steak, burger or grilling seasoning is great. Or, make your own using paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
- Ground Beef: Havarti pairs really nicely with ground turkey too, so they would be a great substitution for the meat in this burger.
- Havarti Cheese: a good melting cheese, like Gouda or Provolone would also work well.
- Jalapeno Mustard: a horseradish mustard or spicy mustard would be great on these burgers. You can mix pickled jalapenos into yellow mustard if you can’t find it prepared in the store.
- Pretzel Buns: any good burger bun, like brioche, sesame seed or simply a potato roll would work well for this burger. Feeling ambitious? Make my homemade pretzel rolls!
- Serve with: fries, chips, potato salad, cucumber salad, or any grilled veggie.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Jalapeno Mustard Havarti Burgers
- 4 ground beef patties
- 1 tbsp steak seasoning
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- ¼ cup jalapeno mustard
- 4 pretzel rolls
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Season both sides of the burger patty with steak seasoning.
- Cook burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through. In the last minute or two of grilling, add the slices of Havarti cheese and cook until melted.
- Spread jalapeno mustard on both sides of the pretzel roll. Add lettuce and sliced tomato to the roll, followed by the burger and top with pickled jalapeno slices.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.