Reuben Hot Dogs are grilled hot dogs wrapped in pastrami and Swiss cheese and topped with sauerkraut and thousand island dressing.
If you're looking for a delicious homemade hot dog recipe, you've come to the right place!
Hot dogs were always a take it or leave it food for me, until I started getting creative with the recipes. While there's a place for your classic ketchup, mustard and relish variety, I've found that I prefer hot dogs pretty much any other way.
Enter the Reuben Hot Dog, which is the best hot dog recipe I've made yet. I toasted the buns slightly before adding the Swiss cheese to melt on them which is definitely the way to go. Top that with a nicely grilled hot dog wrapped in pastrami. Then add some warmed up sauerkraut and a drizzle of thousand island dressing and oh my! Now this is a hot dog!
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- hot dogs
- hot dog buns
- swiss cheese
- thousand island dressing (see below for recipe if not using store-bought)
Instructions for the Reuben hot dog recipe
- First, you need to cook the hot dogs. Heat your grill to high heat and grill hot dogs for 3 minutes on each side or until they reach your desired level of charred. (Or cook hot dogs on a griddle)
- Then, warm up your sauerkraut. Heat sauerkraut in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until warmed through.
- Next, toast your buns. On the grill or in a toaster, lightly toast the hot dog buns. Then add the swiss cheese and return to the grill or toaster until the cheese has melted.
- Finally, assemble the hot dogs! Wrap a piece of pastrami around each hot dog and place on the toasted bun. Spoon some sauerkraut on top and then drizzle with thousand island dressing.
How do you make thousand island dressing?
Combine ½ cup mayo, 1 ½ tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, 1 teaspoon lemon juice (or white vinegar), ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, and a pinch of paprika together until well combined. If this makes extra, it will keep in the fridge for at least a week.
FAQ's for Reuben Hot Dogs
- What is a Reuben? A Reuben sandwich is made with corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and thousand island, or Russian, dressing. Reubens can also be made with turkey, which makes it a Rachel.
- What is the healthiest hot dog? It depends on what you're looking for; but Applegate brand's uncured turkey and beef hotdogs are pretty healthy as they don't contain a lot of excess ingredients. For mixed meat, like pork and beef, Boar's Head is a good choice.
- What can I substitute in this recipe? Coleslaw is a good swap if you don't like the taste or sauerkraut. Pastrami can be swapped with corned beef or skipped entirely.
- What's the healthiest way to cook a hot dog? Grilling is definitely best as it gives you the most amount of flavor.
I served these hot dogs with fries, but they would also be great with coleslaw, potato salad or chips!
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Reuben Hot Dogs
- 8 hot dogs beef or pork, your choice
- 8 hot dog buns
- 8 slices pastrami sliced thin
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- ½ cup thousand island dressing
- Heat a grill or griddle to high heat. Add the hot dogs and cook for 6 minutes, flipping over once, or until they reached your desired level of charred.
- Meanwhile, add sauerkraut to a saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until warmed through.
- On a grill, on in a toaster, lightly toast the hot dog buns. Add a slice of swiss cheese to each and return to the grill or toaster until the cheese is melted.
- Remove cooked hot dogs from the grill and wrap a slice of pastrami around each. Place into the hot dog bun, top with sauerkraut and a drizzle of thousand island dressing.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.