Disclaimer: I received product in exchange for sharing this recipe. All opinions are my own.
This Spicy BBQ Chicken recipe is going to become your new favorite chicken dish! Chicken breasts are marinated in a spicy BBQ sauce mixture then cooked to perfection. Additional BBQ sauce is served over the chicken for some extra kick. But don’t stop there! Dip your fries in the sauce or use it as a salad dressing.
Recently, I saw a recipe for spicy chicken, using hot sauce, sour cream, honey and some other ingredients to create a sauce. I thought about making the recipe as is, but it seems like every time I cook up chicken breasts, Tom decides to cover his in BBQ sauce. Which got me thinking that I could use the basis of the recipe I found but use BBQ Sauce as a base.
It was quite perfect actually, because I recently found my new favorite brand of BBQ sauce when I was visiting the butcher not too long ago.
Bar-B-Que Beast is a women-owned company located in Pennsylvania. Ann first created the sauce about 20 years ago while she was serving in the Air Force and was unable to find a traditional BBQ sauce while stationed in Germany.
I’ve now tried 3 of their sauces – On the Bay, which is a sweet heat sauce with Old Bay seasoning mixed in, Curry – a sweeter style sauce with curry mixed in, and Spicy, a thick sweet sauce with just enough heat mixed in.
For this recipe I used the Spicy version of their sauce. I want to try it again with the On the Bay sauce because…well, I’m from Maryland. We put Old Bay on everything.
For this week only (ending Saturday August 15th) there is a sale on Bar-B-Que Beast Sauces. They’re also available in Giant and Martin’s stores and other local stores throughout the mid-Altantic.
- Curry Barbecue Chickpea and Eggplant Tacos by Savory Moments
- Barbecue Seafood Skewers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Curry Barbecue Chicken by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Southern BBQ Tri Tip Sandwiches by The Freshman Cook
- Spicy BBQ Diablo Chicken by Cookaholic Wife
- Air Fryer BBQ Wings by Books n’ Cooks
- Barbecue Shrimp and Cheesy Grits By Making Miracles
- On the Bay Bar-B-Cue Crab Dip By Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Air Fryer Chicken Fingers with BBQ Yogurt dipping sauce By Simple and Savory
- Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken with BBQ Dipping Sauce By Kate’s Recipe Box
What is Spicy BBQ Chicken?
This spicy BBQ chicken recipe will quickly become your favorite one! The marinade and sauce for the chicken is made with BBQ sauce, hot sauce, honey, ketchup, sour cream and spices. Half of the mixture goes on top of the chicken so it can marinate in it and you reserve the other half to drizzle on top the chicken once it’s cooked.
- boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets
- sour cream
- Bar-b-Que Beast Spicy sauce
- hot sauce
- paprika and garlic powder
How to Make
- Whisk together the sour cream, bbq sauce, hot sauce, honey, ketchup, paprika and garlic powder.
- Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate the other half until ready to use.
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Brown the chicken cutlets on both sides, then transfer to an oven-safe dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Drizzle some of the reserved marinade on top of the chicken
Not sure what to serve with Spicy BBQ Chicken? I served it with corn on the cob and a salad, but the chicken would also pair great over rice or with mashed potatoes and your favorite green veggie.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Spicy BBQ Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together the sour cream, barbeque sauce, honey, hot sauce, garlic powder and paprika together in a medium bowl.
- Pour half of the mixture into another bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add the chicken breasts to a container or zip top bag along with the remainder of the marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and brown the chicken on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken breasts reach 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast.
- Drizzle reserved marinade on top of the chicken.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.