Which meant if it didn't go well, I had approximately 1.5 days to find and make a new recipe. Typically this would scare me quite a bit, but I'd made something similar to this recipe before and I was fairly confident that we weren't going to have any issues. Famous last words, right?
For July I was assigned to Ilona's Kitchen. There are quite a few tasty things on there and I kept getting sidetracked by posts like Snickerdoodle Pie or Salted Caramel Brownies. But I immediately knew going into it, I wanted to see if Ilona had any recipes I could use for the 4th. Then I found this pie.
Patriotic Fruit Pie
Source: Ilona's Kitchen
Sugar Cookie Crust:
- 1 package sugar cookie mix
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 banana, thinly sliced
- strawberries, thinly sliced
Cream Cheese Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9" round cake pan.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, the sugar cookie mix (and required ingredients) with the orange zest and vanilla. Beat until a soft dough forms.
3. Meanwhile, combine flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture to the stand mixer. Mix until a soft dough forms.
5. Press the cookie mixture into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
6. Let cool completely.
7. Meanwhile, add cream cheese, sugar, orange juice and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until light and fluffy. Chill until ready to use.
8. Once the cookie crust has cooled, spread the cream cheese filling on top.
9. Arrange the fruit on top of the cream cheese filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
So pretty! I did have to use some prepackaged sugar cookie mix for this as I apparently have overlooked that we are completely out of flour. I don't think it made any difference on the overall taste of the pie since it was scarfed down pretty quickly.
That pie sounds so easy, a sugar cookie crust instead of a regular pie crust, and then cream cheese filling and fruits, oh how lovely indeed! That's got summer written all over it.
Wow. Just wow! So beautiful...and, I'll bet, delicious! Nice pick for the 4th of July and for the SRC.
This looks so tasty to me. If you made it too far ahead the crust might get soggy.
I'd love for you to link this to What'd You Do This Weekend? at Tumbleweed Contessa. http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/
Wishes for tasty dishes,
Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa
Kate | Food Babbles
This pie sounds so good! Love that the crust is a sugar cookie and that cream cheese filling under all that lovely fruit sounds amazing. Great pick!
Lesa @ Edesias Notebook
Very pretty! A friend of mine brought over basically the same thing in pizza form yesterday and we all loved it. Great choice for this month.