You know how I feel about muffins. I am ALWAYS on the look out for a different muffin recipe. And one that called for lemon yogurt, lemon zest and lemon extract? I was all over that. In my head lemons = spring and I would do anything to keep this season around. Including believing that cooking/baking with lemons will do it.
Don't you judge me. You have your own weird traits, thank you very much. :-p
Triple Lemon Blueberry Muffins
Source: Eat More of What You Love, p. 55
- 6 oz. light lemon yogurt
- ½ cup fat-free milk
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. lemon extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Splenda
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper or foil liners.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, milk, butter, egg, zest, and extracts. Stir until combined.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, Splenda, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Divide the batter among the muffin pan, filling each cup ⅔ of the way full.
6. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Would you believe I still wouldn't have minded more lemon flavor with these? I think adding in the juice of the zested lemon would have been a nice touch. Most of these had a very nice muffin height to them which makes me incredibly happy. I don't know why I'm amused by tall muffins, okay?
Don't they just scream SPRING? Yeah, I thought so.