Of course, since this is 98% vegetables and 2% bacon, it was what I consider a ‘weekend lunch meal’. Otherwise known as a meal that I can make for myself with no intentions to share with Tom since he’d just turn his nose up at it anyway.
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled (Oscar Mayer)
- 1/4 cup corn kernels, cooked
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced 1/2″ thick
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise (Kraft)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fresh chives, chopped
- splash of milk
- splash of apple cider
- salt and pepper
1. Remove the center and seeds of the tomato leaving the skin and outer ring intact.
2. Whisk together the mayonnaise, milk and apple cider. Stir in the basil and chives.
3. Create a tower with the tomato slices and fill the inside with corn and avocado slices.
4. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the top of the tomato. Top with bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I didn’t feel like dragging out the Griddler just for a small amount of corn, so I just steamed the corn instead of grilling it for this recipe. I’m sure grilling it would enhance the flavors quite a bit, but I was really pleased with the way this turned out. I just added the extra corn and avocado slices that didn’t fit into the tomato tower to my plate. I wasn’t expecting this to be as filling as it was, but I could easily eat this for a meal on a regular basis. If only I could convince the carnivore to as well…