Outside of cooking, I’ve decided not to let fall and winter take over my wardrobe and make it completely drab. I seem to have a habit in the fall and winter of only wearing dark and depressing colors. Too much money spent, later, I have a fully stocked closet with brightly colored sweaters, scarves and other fall and winter items.
But a peach sweater can’t starve off the sun setting so soon after I get home, so I’ve also decided to randomly throw some ice spring and summer recipes into the mix for as long as possible. Hence, coconut ice cream right in the middle of October.
Coconut Ice Cream
Source: All Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
1. Pour the coconut milk into a large bowl. Use a potato masher to remove any large solid pieces. Whisk in the milk, cream and coconut flakes. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
2. Process according to ice cream maker directions. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
3. Serve sprinkled with toasted coconut flakes.
I wasn’t sure what this was going to taste like but I ended up pleasantly surprised. The ice cream is really rich and full of coconut flavor however it is a bit hard to get out of the container even if you let it warm up for a while.