Dairy Free Frosted Lemonade is a copycat version of Chickfila's tasty milkshake - made with plant based vanilla ice cream and homemade lemonade.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in August 2016. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in June 2022.
Lemonade was always one of my favorite summertime drinks as a kid. Adding ice cream was never a thought until I tried it at Chickfila. Unfortunately, I'm lactose intolerant so I'm unable to have their version anymore, so I had to make my own dairy-free version to enjoy.
What is dairy free frosted lemonade?
Dairy Free Frosted Lemonade is a milkshake made with planted based vanilla ice cream, lemon juice, water and sugar.
- fresh lemon juice
- plant based vanilla ice cream
First, combine warm water and sugar. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves into the water.
Then, squeeze the lemons. Squeeze lemons, approximately 2 large lemons, until you have a half cup of lemon juice. Stir the lemon juice into the sugar-water mixture.
Finally, blend into a milkshake. Add plant-based vanilla ice cream of your choice to a blender, along with the lemon and water mixture. Blend until smooth.
Serve frosted lemonade. Pour the lemonade into glasses and garnish with a slice of lemon if desired.
No, if you don't feel like squeezing lemons, you can use a frozen concentrated lemonade, prepared lemonade or lemon juice.
Almond milk and cashew milk dairy-free ice creams are my favorite. Cashew milk ice cream is very rich and creamy, while most almond-milk ice creams are thinner.
Personal preference. If your ice cream is very cold, the addition of the warm water won't make too much of a difference.
Nope, not at all. Feel free to use your favorite vanilla ice cream.
Love frozen drinks? Try out my Chocolate Cherry Bourbon Float, Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies and Cream Smoothie or Key Lime Pie Milkshakes.
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Dairy Free Frosted Lemonade
- 1 blender
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups plant-based vanilla ice cream
- Whisk sugar into warm water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.½ cup warm water, 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Juice 2 lemons, or enough to get ½ cup lemon juice. Stir lemon juice into water mixture, taste and stir in more sugar if needed.½ cup lemon juice
- Add vanilla ice cream and half of the lemonade mixture to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more of the lemonade if needed to thin out the milkshake. Serve immediately.4 cups plant-based vanilla ice cream
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.