Almond and Orange Brownies are the perfect chocolate, citrus and crunchy treat. Dark chocolate brownies are infused with orange flavors and topped with a crunchy almond topping in these super tasty brownies!
There's a whole group of people who are huge fans of chocolate and orange and I never knew this was a thing. Sure, I'd seen the Lindt chocolate bars with orange flavoring but I never realized HOW popular they were.
I get it now though. These brownies are delicious! They might just be the best brownie recipe ever, if you're looking for an orange and chocolate combo. And the almonds? Never would have thought to add those until I realized they were already in the chocolate bar. Who knew?
what are almond orange brownies?
Almond Orange Brownies are brownies made from scratch, featuring orange flavored dark chocolate, orange extract and zest along with chopped, slivered almonds and your standard brownie ingredients of butter, flour, eggs, sugar, flour and salt.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- unsalted butter
- Lindt dark chocolate intense orange bar
- orange extract
- orange zest
- all purpose flour
- Optional: chocolate chips and chopped slivered almonds
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Melt the butter and chocolate: Partially melt the butter over low heat, then stir in the chopped chocolate and stir until fully melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the orange extract.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale yellow. Slowly add in a little of the chocolate mixture and whisk until incorporated. (You don't want to add too much at once or the heat from the chocolate mixture could scramble the eggs). Continue adding in chocolate slowly until combined.
- Add in the flour, salt and orange zest: Whisk the flour in ¼ cup at a time, followed by the salt and zest. The batter will be very thick.
- Bake the brownies: Transfer the batter to a parchment lined 9x13 baking sheet and spread out until smooth. If desired, sprinkle with chocolate chips and chopped slivered almonds. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Brownies are done when a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. For best results, let cool completely before slicing and serving.
- Chocolate: if you can't find the Lindt intense orange, replace it with your choice or milk or dark chocolate and increase the orange extract to 1 teaspoon.
- Orange Extract: if you don't have orange extract, replace it with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and increase the orange zest to 2 tablespoons.
- Toppings: brownies can be topped with mini or regular sized chocolate chips, chopped almonds, or chocolate coated orange candies.
Improv Cooking Challenge
The Improv Cooking Challenge is a monthly blogging event where two ingredients are assigned and bloggers can make any recipe they like as long as it includes those ingredients. If you're a blogger and would like to join us, please visit our Facebook page, or if you'd like to see previous recipes we've made, please visit our Pinterest page.
The ingredients for December's Improv Cooking Challenge were chocolate and citrus.
Improv Cooking Challenge: December 2020
Ingredients: Chocolate and Citrus
- Chocolate Orange Cake by Making Miracles
- Cranberry Pistachio lime and white chocolate bark by Magical Ingredients
- Almond Orange Brownies by Cookaholic Wife
- Oblaten Lebkuchen by Pandemonium Noshery
- Easy Citrus & Chocolate Pudding Trifle by Sneha’s Recipe
- 4 oz Lindt intense orange chocolate baking bar
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (12 tablespoons)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ cup chocolate chips for topping, optional
- ¼ cup slivered almonds chopped, for topping, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter halfway over low heat. Then add chocolate and stir frequently until fully melted. Set aside to let cool slightly, then stir in the orange extract.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale yellow. Slowly add a small amount of the chocolate mixture while whisking. (Adding it in too fast will cook the eggs). Continue to slowly add in chocolate mixture until fully combined.
- Then whisk in flour, salt and orange zest until no lumps remain. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- If desired, sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped slivered almonds on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12-15 brownies!
- Chocolate: If you can't find the Lindt intense orange bar, use your favorite milk or dark chocolate bar and increase the orange extract to 1 teaspoon.
- Orange Extract: if you don't have orange extract, replace it with vanilla and increase the orange zest to 2 tablespoons.
- Toppings: brownies can be baked plain or topped with mini/regular chocolate chips, slivered almonds or chocolate-coated orange candies.
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Almond Orange Brownies
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.