This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of the #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
Lemon Poppyseed Bars are Spring’s version of a brownie. Light and chewy and bursting with lemon flavor, these bars are studded with poppy seeds and covered in a lemon glaze.
When most people think of spring baking, they think of lemon flavored desserts. Citrus is available year-round, but there’s something about that tangy taste that makes you think of sunshine, blooming flowers and warmer temperatures. Or maybe that’s just me. Lemon and poppy seed is such a classic spring pairing, as you can find recipes for breads, muffins, cookies, cakes and more. I love the combination of the flavors together.
How good a lemon dessert is to me is really determined by the glaze. Glazes are just meant for bars, and the one on this one – powdered sugar and lemon juice is simple enough that you’ll want to use it on everything. It adds just another touch of sweet tartness to these chewy lemon bars.
LEMON POPPYSEED BAR INGREDIENTS
- Bars: butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon extract, salt, flour and poppy seeds
- Glaze: powdered sugar, lemon juice
- Preferred Ingredient: Dixie Crystal’s Granulated Sugar
Don’t worry that there aren’t any leavening agents in this bar! They still bake up nicely and create a chewier texture without it.
LEMON POPPYSEED BAR DIRECTIONS
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×8 baking dish or line it with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until combined. Then add in the eggs, one at a time until fully mixed in.
- Mix in the lemon zest, lemon extract and salt. Then add the flour and poppy seeds and mix until combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 22-25 minutes or until the middle is set. The edges will be lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Whisk the lemon juice and powdered sugar together into a thick glaze. Once the bars have cooled, spread the glaze over the top of the bars, covering from edge to edge.
- Cut into squares once glaze has hardened and bars are fully cooled.
Three of these maybe kinda fell into my mouth as soon as they were cool enough to eat. I hope you have better willpower than I do!
Not enough thanks can be said to Dixie Crystals, who keeps me stocked in sugar year-round. I really appreciate that it was one less thing I needed to add to my stock-up grocery shopping.
Don’t forget about entering the giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Friday #SpringSweetsWeek Recipes
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole by Fresh April Flours
- Buttermilk Birthday Cake with Creamy Chocolate Frosting by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Caramel Pecan Cannoli by Palatable Pastime
- Carrot Cake Muffins by Books n’ Cooks
- Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread by Shockingly Delicious
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond Truffles by Family Around the Table
- Disney Spring Treat Lemon Cheesecake by Simply Inspired Meals
- French Silk Tartlets by That Recipe
- Gluten Free Blackberry Mocha Brownies by Frugal & Fit
- Hummingbird Pancakes with Homemade Pineapple Syrup and Candied Pecans by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Blueberry Fritters by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze by Blogghetti
- Lemon Cheesecake Ice Cream with Strawberries by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Lemon Poppy Seed Poke Cake by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Lemon Poppyseed Bars by Cookaholic Wife
- PEEPS Crispy Treats by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Raspberry Moscow Mule Cupcakes by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Raspberry Rosé Cupcakes by The Spiffy Cookie
- Spring Cut Out Cookies by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Banana Bread with Cinnamon Chips by Sweet Beginnings
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by Jen Around the World
- Strawberry Rhubarb Bread by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Strawberry Shortbread Bars by A Savory Feast
- Vegan Lemon Berry Sweet Rolls by The Baking Fairy
WANT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE LATER? SAVE IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARD! AND FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST AT COOKAHOLIC WIFE FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Lemon Poppyseed Bars
For the Bars:
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- zest from ½ a lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
For the Glaze:
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
For the Bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until combined. Add in the eggs, one at a time until combined.
- Add in the lemon zest, lemon extract, and salt. Then add in the flour and poppy seeds and mix until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan, spreading the batter to the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center is set the the edges are lightly golden brown. Let cool.
For the Glaze:
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until it becomes a thick glaze.
- Pour over the cooled bars, spreading from edge to edge.
- Once the bars have cooled completely, cut into 1 inch squares.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Thank you #SpringSweetsWeek Sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Millican Pecan, Door County Coffee & Tea Co., Anolon, Fresh April Sprinkles, Deiss Kitchenware, and Adams Extracts for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #SpringSweetsWeek recipes. All opinions are my own.
The #SpringSweetsWeek giveaway is open to residents of the United States who are 18 years of age or older. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Seven (7) winners will be selected.
The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #SpringSweetsWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter or any other social channel mentioned in the #SpringSweetsWeek posts or entry.