Disclaimer: I received free products from Steviva in exchange for creating a recipe for the #Sweetenitup blogger challenge. All opinions are my own.
A whiskey sour was one of the first alcoholic drinks I ever had but, despite my love of bourbon and whiskey, it is never a drink I think to order when I'm out or even make at home.
I knew the drink had been around for a long time and was considered one of the classics, but I had no idea just how old the drink was. I looked it up and found out that the first mention of the drink occurred all the way back in the 1870's. Now that's definitely a classic drink!
I'm participating in a blogging event sponsored by Steviva, called the Sweeten It Up Blogger Recipe Challenge. One of the categories that bloggers can enter is drinks. I knew right away that I wanted to use their product, Erysweet, to make a simple syrup but I didn't know what more to do than that.
Looking into the fridge for inspiration, it finally came to me; the perfect drink for fall.
Apple Ginger Whiskey Sour
- 2 oz. bourbon or whiskey
- 2 oz. apple cider
- 1 oz. ginger simple syrup*
- 1 oz. lemon juice
For the Ginger Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 ¼ cups Erysweet*
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled
- Add bourbon, apple cider, ginger simple syrup and lemon juice to a shaker glass.2 oz. bourbon or whiskey, 2 oz. apple cider, 1 oz. ginger simple syrup*, 1 oz. lemon juice
- Fill a glass with ice.ice
- Shake bourbon mixture and pour over ice. Garnish with an thinly slice piece of apple if desired.
Ginger Simple Syrup:
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Remove from the heat and add Erysweet, stirring until it dissolves. Place the piece of ginger in a container with a lid. Pour the sweetened water on top, cover and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate overnight. Discard ginger and use within 2 weeks.1 cup water, 1 ¼ cups Erysweet*, 2 inch piece of ginger
The recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. so you can make it ahead of time and simply pour our glasses when your guests arrive.
Erysweet is made from erythritol, a sugar alcohol. Erysweet is 70% as sweet as sugar and can be used in cooking, baking and beverage recipes as it dissolves just as sugar does.
To learn more about Erysweet and other Steviva products, visit them at www.steviva.com or check out their social media:
Apple cider and ginger are warm flavors that make me think of fall. They pair perfectly in this drink as the lemon juice takes away from the sweetness and the bourbon adds just a little kick. It's easily one of those drinks where you can have a few and not realize it's effect until you go to stand up, so keep that in mind! 😏
If you're looking for a drink to off your guests on Thanksgiving, I think this could be the perfect one. Enjoy!