Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potatoes are mashed sweet potatoes topped with sweetened, bourbon flavored pecans. Perfect for your holiday dinner table!
I’ll never pass up making a recipe that involves bourbon. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love how well the flavor of the bourbon pairs with the pecans and sweet potatoes in this dish.
What are bourbon pecan sweet potatoes?
There are a lot of bourbon sweet potato casserole recipes that involve a bourbon topping, but I opted to make this recipe a little easier, and quicker to prepare. Sweet potatoes are cooked in the microwave and mashed with butter, milk and salt. Pecans are cooked with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and bourbon. Then the potatoes are scooped into a dish with topped with the pecans.
Ingredients for this recipe
- sweet potatoes
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- dried sage
- salt and pepper
Instructions for this recipe
First, start off by pricking the sweet potatoes with a fork. Wrap each potato in a damp paper towel and microwave potatoes for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides of the potatoes into a medium bowl and mash.
While the potatoes are cooking, start on the pecans. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the brown sugar, cinnamon and sage and stir until combined. Then add in the pecans, vanilla and bourbon and cook for 10 minutes, until the mixture is a syrup consistency.
Finally, transfer the potatoes to a dish. Spread mashed sweet potatoes in a dish in an even layer and top with the pecan mixture. Serve immediately, or if making in advance, cover with foil. Heat in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until warmed through.
FAQ’s for bourbon sweet potatoes
It does, to a degree. There will still be some alcohol content left in the pecan topping of this recipe. The bourbon is not a requirement so you could skip it if you are making this for children or those who don’t consume.
Yes, follow the recipe as instructed and make sure to put the potatoes and topping in an oven-safe dish. Cover and refrigerate, up to overnight. Then let sit on the counter 30 minutes before baking in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, or until warmed through.
Any kind is fine, although I’d stay away from flavored bourbons. Bulleit is the brand of bourbon that I always have on hand, so I used that in this recipe.
The holidays are quickly approaching! (How did that even happen?!) I’ve joined up with a bunch of other bloggers this week to share Holiday Side Dish recipes with you. Here’s what they have shared:
Here’s more Side Dish Recipes:
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash from Devour Dinner
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Black Eyed Pea Casserole from Leftovers Then Breakfast
- Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potatoes from Cookaholic Wife
- Brussels Sprouts with Smoked Almonds and Manchego Cheese from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Buttermilk Biscuits from Family Around the Table
- Carrot Peanut Slaw from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cauliflower au Gratin from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Puffs from Blogghetti
- Chive Buttered Carrots from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Hassleback Potatoes from Jen Around the World
- Hearts of Palm Salad from Art of Natural Living
- Loaded Green Bean Casserole from Sweet Beginnings
- Potatoes and Green Beans/Aloo Beans Curry from Magical Ingredients
- Potatoes Au Gratin from An Affair from the Heart
- Southern Collard Greens (Instant Pot) from Palatable Pastime
- Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans from Kate’s Recipe Box
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and wrap each in a damp paper towel. Place in the microwave and cook for 10 minutes or until softened and cooked through.2 lbs sweet potatoes
- Remove from the microwave and let cool until able to be handled. Slice sweet potatoes in half and remove the insides with a spoon. Place in a bowl.
- Add the milk, butter salt and pepper and mash until combined.¼ cup milk, 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, dried sage and salt. Stir until combined.2 tablespoon unsalted butter, 2 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon dried sage, ½ teaspoon salt
- Add the pecans, vanilla and bourbon and let cook for 10 minutes, until there is a syrup-like consistency from the butter and brown sugar.1 cup pecans, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon bourbon
- Spread the mashed sweet potatoes into an oven-safe dish and top with the pecan mixture. Serve immediately.
- To make in advance: cover dish and refrigerate up to overnight. Let warm up on the counter for 30 minutes before baking in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.