Cheddar Chive Twice Baked Potatoes are a side dish staple in my house! Cheddar cheese and sour cream fill these twice baked potatoes that are topped with fresh chives.
Update: This recipe was originally shared in July 2012. The recipe and images have been updated and republished in October 2021.
Why bake a potato once when you can bake it twice? For years I never understood why people would spend the time to make a potato more than once when a baked potato was perfectly good all on its own. And then I had a twice baked potato filled with creamy cheesy gooeyness and I understood.
The flavors of this potato are similar to a loaded potato - cheese, sour cream, bacon and green onions (or chives) so if you like those, you're going to love these!
Traditionally, twice-baked means the potatoes are baked in the oven two times, but this recipe speeds up the cooking process by using your microwave for the first "bake".
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- potatoes (russet or white will do perfectly)
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- unsalted butter
- fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Instructions to make cheddar chive twice baked potatoes
- First, get your oven ready for the "twice-baked" portion. Preheat the oven to 450 and line a baking sheet with foil, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Then, prepare the potatoes for their first cooking. Scrub and rinse the potatoes and prick evenly with a fork. Wrap each potato in a paper towel and bake for 10-12 minutes until just cooked through. (The cooking time varies on the wattage of your microwave) Then slice in half lengthwise and let cool for a few minutes.
- After that, prepare the potatoes for the second bake. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the insides and place into a large bowl. Leave enough of the potato around the skin that it will hold its shape. Brush olive oil over the entire potatoes and place open side up on the baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes, flip over and bake 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Add the sour cream, shredded cheese, butter, milk, chives, salt and pepper to the bowl with the potato filling. Stir until completely combined.
- Then, complete the final bake. Fill the potatoes with the mixture and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Finally, garnish the potatoes and serve. Top the potatoes with additional fresh chives and serve immediately.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
- Add ins: bacon, cooked shredded chicken, crab dip, garlic, a variety of fresh herbs, jalapenos, etc.
- Change out the cheese for colby jack, pepper jack, gouda or Mexican
- Serve these potatoes with Spicy BBQ Chicken, Spicy Parmesan Pork Chops or your favorite protein. Potatoes go with everything!
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Cheddar-Chive Twice-Baked Potatoes
- 4 large potatoes russet or white
- 3 oz. sour cream
- 3 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. milk
- 2 tablespoon fresh chives chop half, save the rest for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper each
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Scrub the potatoes and prick with a fork. Wrap each potato in a paper towel and microwave for 10-12 minutes or until just cooked through. (See notes)
- Remove the potatoes from the microwave and let cool long enough to handle. Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside of the potato, leaving a thin ring around the flesh so the potato keeps its shape. Transfer the insides of the potato to a large bowl.
- Drizzle both sides of each potato half with olive oil and place on the prepared baking sheet, placing it open side up. Bake for 5 minutes, then flip over and bake 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven.
- While the potato skins are baking, mix up the filling. In the bowl with the insides of the potatoes, add in the sour cream, cheddar cheese, butter, milk and half of the chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Fill the potatoes with the filling and return to the oven, bake for 5-7 minutes more, or until the filling is golden and lightly crispy. Remove from the oven, and garnish with additional chives if desired.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.