Mississippi Pot Roast is a super flavorful pot roast made with only a handful of ingredients in the slow cooker. You'll love the tangy taste of the pepperoncinis.
Update: The original recipe was posted in October 2017. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in February 2022.
I cannot believe I existed over 30 years of life without ever having this delicious and easy pot roast. The first time I made the recipe was for a blogging event where pickled peppers was the theme. I had no idea what to make and started searching for recipes. Since making this the first time, this recipe quickly became part of our regular dinners.
What is Mississippi Pot Roast
Mississippi Pot Roast is one of the easiest slow cooker recipes you'll ever make. A beef roast is seasoned with flavor packets and the juice from pepperoncinis before being cooked long and slow in the slow cooker. It's a little bit tangy and perfectly delicious.
It's very similar to my Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches.
- beef chuck roast
- ranch dressing mix
- Au Jus gravy mix
- unsalted butter
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
Start off by seasoning the beef roast. Season all sides of the roast liberally with salt and pepper. Then add olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the roast and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until browned.
Then add your ingredients to the slow cooker. Place the browned roast into the slow cooker. Sprinkle the Ranch dressing mix and Au Jus Gravy Mix on top. Slice butter into pieces and place on top. Then add in pepperoncini's and their juice.
Next, cook the pot roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, then shred the beef and return to the slow cooker to soak up the juices again.
Finally, serve the pot roast. Serve the pot roast with your favorite side dishes.
- Pot Roast and Mashed Potatoes are the perfect pairing!
- Make gravy using the juices or from a packet to serve over the mashed potatoes.
- You can also serve the Mississippi Pot Roast over rice or egg noodles.
- Other sides like Brown Sugar and Thyme Roasted Carrots or Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potatoes
You may not have cooked it long enough. This is a great recipe to throw in the slow cooker early in the morning and let cook all day as it needs time to cook down and become tender.
Chuck roast is a great choice. If you need to use top or bottom round or rump roast, make sure you cook at least 10 hours to ensure the meat is not tough.
That's entirely up to you! I have used both depending on what we had on hand.
Here's more pot roast recipe you'll love:
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Mississippi Pot Roast
- 1 slow cooker at least 4 quart size
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pound chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- 1 packet dry au jus gravy mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup pepperoncinis
- ¼ cup water* see notes at bottom
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season the beef roast liberally with salt and pepper.2 tablespoon olive oil, 2 pound chuck roast, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2. Once hot, place the roast in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, allowing a nice brown crust to form.
- 3. Transfer the meat to a slow cooker.
- 4. Sprinkle the ranch dressing packet and au jus gravy packet over the meat. Place the stick of butter on top, and arrange the pepperoncinis on and around the meat. Pour the water into the crock pot.1 packet ranch dressing mix, 1 packet dry au jus gravy mix, 1 stick unsalted butter, ¼ cup pepperoncinis, ¼ cup water*
- 5. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- 6. Shred the meat and serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.