Open-Faced Tomato Sandwiches are served on artisan bread with a creamy cucumber and fresh herb spread for the perfect bite of summer flavors.
It’s Farmer’s Market Week! There is nothing better than getting to pick out fresh produce, jams and breads from a local farmers market and making a meal with them. I’m so excited we’re celebrating all of those recipes this week. I do have some pretty decent farmers markets in my area, but nothing beats the ones that you can find on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
I had a weekend trip planned to see my aunt who lives at the beach and we decided that we’d have a small dinner party based to cover all of the food for this event. She invited over her neighbors and we also had my cousin and friend with us. Everything turned out absolutely delicious, but I think everyone’s favorite were these open-faced tomato sandwiches.
The Artisan bread we used was a garlic basil which I think paired really nicely with the rest of the fresh flavors in this dish.
OPEN-FACED TOMATO SANDWICH INGREDIENTS
- Artisan bread or your favorite bread
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 large seedless cucumber
- fresh dill, mint and basil
- lemon juice
- heirloom tomatoes, cherry or whole sized
- salt and pepper
WHAT IS AN HEIRLOOM TOMATO?
An Heirloom Tomato is when the seeds of a tomato plant are passed down from season to season by the farmer. They’re open pollinated, meaning that there’s no genetic modifications made to them. Heirloom tomatoes don’t match what you see in the grocery store; they’re not perfectly rounded and red. Instead they are usually misshapen looking and come in a variety of colors; green, yellow, orange, red and a dark purple color usually referred to as a chocolate tomato.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR OPEN-FACED TOMATO SANDWICHES
- cottage cheese or dairy-free cream cheese
- any fresh herb – parsley, cilantro, chives
- apple cider vinegar or white vinegar instead of lemon juice
We put out these sandwiches first and after the first bite, everyone was reaching back onto the plate to grab another one! The cucumber spread is perfectly creamy and pairs really well with the freshness of the tomatoes and the soft chew of the bread.
Open-Faced Tomato Sandwiches
For the Spread:
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 large seedless cucumber diced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sandwiches:
- 8-10 inch loaf Artisan bread
- 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes or 2-3 full sized tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp fresh dill chopped
- Stir together the cream cheese, cucumber, fresh herbs, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Slice the bread into 1-inch thick slices.
- Spread a heaping tablespoon or more onto each slice of bread.
- Arrange the tomato slices on top of the spread. Sprinkle additional dill on top and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Monday’s Farmer’s Market Week Recipes
- Baba Ganoush (Roasted Eggplant Dip) by Books n’Cooks
- Banana Spice Waffles with Peanut Butter Syrup by Family Around the Table
- Black Bean and Corn Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Blaukraut by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins by Tip Garden
- Bruschetta Chicken Tacos by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dandelion Jelly by Daily Dish Recipes
- Farmers Market Chicken Pasta Salad by The Redhead Baker
- Herb Salad with Lemons by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Herb Vegetable Orzo Salad by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Lamb Burger with Purslane Aioli by The Spiffy Cookie
- Lemon Garlic Scape White Bean Dip by Savory Moments
- Lemony Summer Roasted Green Beans by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Mexican Street Corn by Our Good Life
- Open-Faced Tomato Sandwiches by Cookaholic Wife
- Southern Corn Relish by The Freshman Cook
- Spinach Ricotta Pierogies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings