Peach and Strawberry Breakfast Braid is full of fresh peaches and strawberries, wrapped up in an easy-to-make braid made with baking mix.
Update: This post was originally shared in August 2012. In September 2020 it was republished with new photos and text.
I don’t know about you, but I always struggle on what to eat for breakfast. But this breakfast braid is so easy to make and full of sweetness from the peaches and strawberries. While a braid may seem intimidating, don’t let this one scare you! The dough is made using baking mix and comes together really quickly as there is no yeast required.
What is a breakfast braid?
Breakfast braids come in a ton of varieties from the dough to the filling, but in general they are a dough that has been filled and then sliced and braided before baking. Some recipes use puff pastry and others call a breakfast braid a danish. For this recipe, baking mix is combined with butter, cream cheese and milk and then it’s filled with fresh chopped peaches and strawberries.
Ingredients for Peach and Strawberry Breakfast Braid
- peaches and strawberries
- baking mix
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How to make this recipe
- Prepare the fruit. Peel and chop the peaches. Thinly slice the strawberries. Add both to a medium bowl and stir in sugar to coat.
- Prepare the dough. Add baking mix to a large bowl. Cut cold butter and cream cheese into cubes and add to the bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut in until the mixture is like coarse sand. Add the milk and mix until combined.
- Add the flour. Pour some flour onto a surface and roll out the dough on top, adding more flour as needed to make it pliable. Roll into a rectangle and place onto a baking sheet.
- Assemble the braid. Use a slotted spoon to scoop fruit from the bowl, letting the excess juice drain. Arrange the peaches and strawberries down the center of the dough. Use a knife to cut 1-inch thick strips down each side of the dough. Start at the bottom and bring up a strip from each side, overlapping with the other to create the bread.
- Bake at 425 for 20 minutes on a parchment lined baking sheet. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk up the glaze. Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until a glaze forms. Pour the glaze over the braid.
Substitutions for this recipe
This recipe can be adjusted to whatever fruit or fillings you like. Some options include:
Or combine different fruits together. Add in some lemon or lime zest or maybe even skip the fruit all together and do something like chocolate peanut butter. The options are endless.
Not a breakfast braid kind of person? No problem! Check out these other breakfast recipes:
Peach Strawberry Breakfast Braid
For the Braid
- ¾ cup peaches peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup strawberries hulled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter chilled and cubed
- 3 oz cream cheese chilled and cubed
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup all purpose flour
For the Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
For the Braid
- Preheat the oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine peaches and strawberries together in a bowl. Add sugar and toss to coat.
- Add baking mix, butter and cream cheese to a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter and cream cheese until fully combined and the mixture becomes coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the milk until combined.
- Lightly flour a surface and turn out the dough onto it. Add additional flour and work into the dough until it is tacky but not sticky. Roll out the dough into a 12×18 rectangle.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove excess liquid from the fruit and arrange in a single layer down the center of the dough.
- Use a knife to cut 1 inch strips on both sides of the dough. Bring strips of dough from opposite sides together over the fruit, overlapping them to create the braid look. Repeat with remaining strips of dough. Tuck the top and bottom of the dough under the braids.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Let cool for 20 minutes.
For the Glaze
- Whisk together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until a glaze forms. Drizzle over the braid.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.