Spicy Italian Pasta Soup is a hearty soup made with Italian sausage, a tomato base, lots of vegetables and penne pasta.
Update: This recipe was originally shared in November 2018 as part of a sponsored event where I received the pasta in exchange for creating a recipe. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in March 2023.
This is hands down one of the best soup recipes I ever created. Nothing was planned or measured initially, it all went into the pot and then once I tasted it, I knew I needed to make it again to share.
What is Spicy Italian Pasta Soup?
Spicy Italian Pasta Soup is a tomato-broth based soup with spicy Italian sausage, lots of vegetables and seasonings, penne pasta and of course it's topped with Parmesan cheese.
- spicy Italian sausage, cooked
- olive oil
- bell pepper
- jalapeno - seeded if you want it less spicy
- frozen mixed vegetables
- canned tomato soup
- canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- beef broth
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese - for topping
First, cook off your base vegetables. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onions, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook for 7-10 minutes until vegetables have softened.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta and cook until al dente, according to box instructions, but usually around 11 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.
Then add the canned ingredients and spices to the soup. Add canned tomato soup, diced tomatoes, beef broth, water, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to the soup. Stir until combined and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes until vegetables are fully softened.
Next, add in the frozen veggies and cooked spicy Italian sausage. Add frozen mixed vegetables and Italian sausage to the saucepan and cook 2-3 minutes more, until vegetables are heated through.
Finally, serve the soup. Ladle some of the penne pasta into a bowl and poue soup on top. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top or add slivers of fresh shaved Parmesan cheese.
Why I love this recipe
- Using canned tomato soup creates a hearty base for the soup
- You can adjust the level of heat depending on if you seed your jalapenos or how much crushed red pepper you add
- Frozen mixed vegetables saves a lot of prep time, no peeling or dicing!
- It's flexible enough to use what you have on hand - add spinach or beans - swap out the spices - skip the jalapeno - use mild Italian sausage instead - change up the type of pasta
Lemon juice will remove some of the spice in a soup. In this recipe, you can seed the jalapeno and add as little or as much crushed red pepper as you would like.
As the pasta cooks, it will absorb the broth of the soup. By cooking them separately, you'll have enough broth for your soup.
The soup will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Store soup in a separate container than the penne pasta. You can also freeze the soup in an air-tight container for 3-4 months.
Other Soup Recipes You'll Love
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Spicy Italian Pasta Soup
- ½ lb Spicy Italian sausage cooked and crumbled
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 large japapeno, diced (seeded to reduce heat)
- 10.75 oz tomato soup canned
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes fire-roasted
- 2 cup beef broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or less, to taste
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook until al dente, according to package directions, but usually around 11 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water and set aside.12 oz penne pasta
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7-10 minutes, until vegetables have softened.2 tablespoon olive oil,, 1 large bell pepper,, 1 large japapeno,
- Add in canned tomato soup, diced tomatoes, beef broth and water. Stir in spices and bring soup to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are fully cooked.10.75 oz tomato soup, 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, 2 cup beef broth, 3 cups water, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper,
- Stir in frozen vegetables and cooked Italian sausage. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until heated through.½ lb Spicy Italian sausage, 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Ladle penne pasta into a soup bowl and pour soup on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.4 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.