Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup is a Asian take on the classic comfort food soup. Shredded chicken and veggies are cooked in a flavorful broth with fresh ground ginger. Ramen style noodles are added before serving.
Update: This recipe was originally shared in January 2018 as part of the Ginger & Spice Improv Cooking Challenge event. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in January 2023.
Ginger is one of my favorite foods. I use way more than any recipe calls for in Asian dishes. I ask for extra pickled ginger when ordering sushi and I consume candied ginger like they're never going to make it again. So why not add it into the most classic soup recipe there is?
What is ginger chicken noodle soup?
Classic chicken noodle soup made with celery, onions and carrots gets a new twist in this recipe. Fresh ginger is added to the soup, along with mushrooms and instead of egg noodles, this Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup is served with ramen style noodles, topped with chopped cilantro, green onions and a squeeze of lemon juice for fresh flavor.
- large chicken breast
- powdered chicken bouillon
- minced garlic
- fresh grated ginger
- fresh cilantro
- green onions
- lemon juice
- ramen noodles
- salt and pepper, to taste
First, cook the chicken breast. Add 2 cups of water to a large saucepan and whisk in 1 teaspoon of powdered chicken bouillon. Trim fat from the chicken breast and place into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and cook for 10-12 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees. Remove chicken breast from the pot and place on a cutting board. Discard cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Dice the celery, onions and carrots. Then add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in the veggies and cook for 5-7 minutes, until just softened. Add in the minced garlic and grated ginger. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant.
Then season and add stock. Sprinkle the remaining chicken bouillon powder over the veggies and stir in 6 cups of water. Stir until combined and bring to a simmer.
Next, shred the chicken. Shred the chicken with two forks and then add into the pot with the vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes, then stir in mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are cooked through.
After that, prepare the ramen noodles. Add noodles to a pot of water and cook until just softened. Drain water and set aside.
Finally, serve the soup. Ladle chicken and vegetables into a bowl and top with ramen noodles. Then sprinkle chopped green onions and cilantro on top, and add in a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
- Don't feel like cooking a chicken breast? Use a rotisserie chicken instead. Or use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
- Chicken bouillon - use 6 cups of prepared chicken broth instead. Make sure to add in seasonings - garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, etc. to give your soup flavor!
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Ginger Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup carrots diced (approximately 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery diced (approximately 2 stalks)
- 1 cup onion diced (approximately 1 medium onion)
- 6 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- 2 packages ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon green onions chopped
- ½ large lemon
- Trim any fat from the chicken breast.
- Add 2 cups of water and chicken bouillon to a medium saucepan. Whisk until bouillon powder dissolves then add in chicken breast and heat over medium high. Bring to a boil, then reduce slightly and cook for 10-12 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees F.1 large chicken breast, 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- Remove chicken from the saucepan and place on a cutting board. Discard cooking liquids. Shred chicken breast.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add in carrots, celery and onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables have softened.1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, 1 cup onion
- Reduce heat to medium and add in garlic and ginger. Cook for 1-2 minutes more until garlic becomes fragrant. Add in the chicken bouillon and 6 cups of water. Stir until combined. Bring to a simmer.2 tablespoon garlic, 1 tablespoon ginger, 2 tablespoon chicken bouillon
- Then add in the shredded chicken and cook 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes more until mushrooms have softened.6 oz mushrooms
- Meanwhile, add water to another saucepan and cook ramen noodles until they're just softened, 2-3 minutes over high heat. Drain the water and set aside.2 packages ramen noodles
Assembly and Toppings
- Ladle chicken and vegetables into bowls. Divide ramen noodles into bowls.
- Top soup with cilantro, green onions and a squeeze of lemon juice. Serve immediately.2 tablespoon cilantro, 2 tablespoon green onions, ½ large lemon
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.