I missed participating in the Secret Recipe Club last time because for the first time ever, I completely forgot to respond to the participation form! I have no idea how I forgot, but I couldn't believe that I did. Anyway, I made super to sign up on the first day available this time so I wouldn't forget!
I was assigned The Weekend Gourmet, which is written by Wendy. She has a lot of tasty looking recipes, but I opted to choose one that could be served for Valentine's Day since the holiday is quickly approaching. I chose these Strawberry Shortcake Doughnuts because they could be a breakfast choice or a dessert and some of my favorite recipes are interchangable like that!
Strawberry Doughnut Shortcake
Source: The Weekend Gourmet
Servings: 12 full sized doughnuts or 24 mini
for the doughnut:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 oz. strawberry Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped
for the strawberry topping:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
for the whipped cream:
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 375. Spray a doughnut pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, vanilla and lemon. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry and then gently fold in the fresh strawberries.
3. Fill the doughnut pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked through.
4. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, make the strawberry topping by tossing strawberries, sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl. Allow to sit for 20 minutes for juices to form.
6. Combine ingredients for whipped cream in the bowl of your stand mixer with the beater attachment and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
7. To assemble, spoon a large dollop of whipped cream on top of the doughnut and top with the fresh strawberries.
I've never been a huge fan of the shortcake part of strawberry shortcake so this was a nice change. The strawberry doughnut was light and fluffy and you can never go wrong with whipped cream or strawberries!
Isabelle @ Crumb
What a great pick! I bet the doughnuts are fabulous just on their own, too... But the shortcake is much prettier ( and so much more appropriate for Valentines)
That looks so yummy! I'm beginning to think I need to buy a doughnut pan.
I've never really liked the shortcake part of strawberry shortcake, so I think it's genius to use doughnuts instead! I can't wait to try this.
That looks delicious! I can't wait till strawberries get back in season to give this a try. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.
I agree - you can never go wrong with strawberries and cream. 🙂
I love the idea of using donuts instead of cakes in the shortcake!
Great choice for the SRC
So glad you enjoyed my doughtnut shortcakes...they are so good! They really are perfect for VDay...maybe I should make some next week.