The other week we reached some pretty high temperatures for spring and I did not feel like warming up the house any more than necessary to made side dishes to go along with dinner. I looked around in the fridge to see what we had and found a roma tomatoes and half of a very large English cucumber.
Wanting a light and fresh dish, I opted to use fresh basil on this and go minimal on the other flavors to really make the veggies stand out.
Tomato and Cucumber Salad
Source: A Cookaholic Wife creation
- 1 small English cucumber, diced
- 2 Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
It doesn't get much simpler than that does it? I love me a good tomato and cucumber salad throughout the summer. Perfect side dish to burgers, chicken, steaks...just about anything!