Baltimore Strawberry Cream Pie is a take on the strawberry pie served at Haussner's restaurant for many years. Glazed strawberries rest on a cream filled pie, decorated with whipped cream.
Disclaimer: This recipe was made for #SummerDessertWeek. I received samples from sponsors, but as always, opinions are 100% my own.
For many years one of the most popular desserts you could have in Baltimore was a slice of strawberry pie served at Haussner's Restaurant. I heard about the pie but never managed to try it before the restaurant closed in 1999. (Way to date myself there!)
I recently bought a cookbook of recipes served in old Baltimore restaurants and when I saw this one, I knew that I needed to make it. I made some adjustments to the recipe, for ease of making, but I think it's still pretty delicious!
What is Baltimore Strawberry Cream Pie?
The original pie is served cold - homemade glazed strawberries on top of pastry cream in a pie crust. It's decorated with whipped cream and silvered almonds. I made the pie with cheesecake flavored pudding instead of pastry cream. And I tossed the strawberries in preserves instead of making a glaze.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- frozen pie crust
- cheesecake or vanilla flavored pudding, prepared and cooled
- strawberry preserves
- whipped cream
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Start off with the pie crust. Follow the instructions on the package to bake the pie for a cold pie. My version said 12-15 minutes at 400. Let cool completely.
- Then prepare the strawberries. Hull the strawberries and cut them in half or quarters if they are large. Add them to a large bowl and stir in the preserves until coated.
- Finally, assemble the pie. Spread the prepared pudding into the cooled pie crust and arrange the strawberries on top. Pipe (or squirt if using the canned kind) whipped cream dollops around the edge of the pie. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I intended to make this recipe using pastry cream, but it has been so humid lately that I could not get the pastry cream to work out. There is a trick where you add gelatin and cold water to make the pastry cream stabilize but even that wasn't happening. (Hopefully I'm not insulting any Baltimoreans by making the pie this way!)
Looking for more Baltimore recipes?
Baltimore Strawberry Cream Pie
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 2 cups vanilla pudding prepared
- 1 pint strawberries hulled
- 2 tablespoon strawberry preserves
- ¼ cup whipped cream
- Blind bake the pie shell according to package directions for a chilled pie. My pie shell said to bake for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees. Let cool completely.
- Spread prepared pudding into the cooled pie shell in an even layer.
- Toss the strawberries in the preserves until coated, then arrange strawberries on top of the pie.
- Pipe or squirt dollops of whipped cream around the edges of the pie.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Welcome to this year's #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. You're going to be in for a treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We're sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you'll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Prize #2 — Circulon is giving away a TOTAL BAKEWARE 6-Piece Nonstick Bakeware Set - Two 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 5-Inch Loaf Pan, 9-Inch x 13-Inch Rectangular Cake Pan, 10-Inch x 15-Inch Cookie Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.