Today is my 29th birthday. In case you aren't interested in my musings about turning 29, I'm going to share the recipe with you first then I'll babble a while about my age.
cookie dough batter:
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 2 tbsp. mini chocolate chips
ice cream and toppings:
- 4 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- hot fudge sauce
- caramel sauce
- maraschino cherries
1. Add butter and brown sugar to a bowl and beat with a stand mixer until fully combined and creamy. Then mix in sugar and vanilla until fully combined.
2. Add flour, milk and mini chocolate chips and mix until it resembles a cookie dough batter. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Place a heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream into a dish or glass. Top with a heaping tablespoon of the cookie dough batter, then drizzle with hot fudge sauce and caramel. Repeat then top with sprinkles and a maraschino cherry. Make the second sundae the same way.
Cookie dough ice cream is both my favorite and Tom's. Having a recipe to easily whip some of it up on hand is a very, very, very dangerous thing. I will be exercising all of the willpower I have not to make this a daily dessert. I decided to splurge and have this before dinner. Simply because I could.
And now onto the birthday stuff. A couple of days ago I was texting with a friend who turned 29 back in February about getting older. She said she couldn't believe this was the last year in our 20's. I joked that we could always just celebrate our 2nd 29th birthdays next year.
I'm not actually upset or anything about turning 29. It's just a number. I've never felt any particular age and as a kid and teenager I've always felt older than I was. I don't feel particularly old now but it does sometimes shock me when I think that I'm as old as I am. Not saying I'm old...just that I seem to have no idea where the past 6 years or so actually went.
There are a few things that make me feel....older. Like when I thought Matty on MTV's Awkward was really cute and then I looked him up and realized that he is like 23 and I felt a little guilty for thinking he was cute. Or when I look at my friends daughter, who will be 10 this year and realize she's been around for a decade and I remember everything that happened in those 10 years. But honestly, the thing that gets me the most is my family. My mom is the youngest of 6 children so my older aunts are in their 60's and maybe even 70's. Which I really have a hard time with. It was actually only last year that it dawned on me that if I'm getting closer to 30, I probably only have another 15-25 years with them and that's completely unacceptable in my brain.
But to end this on a happier note, I leave you with this Buzzfeed link for 29 Awesome Things About Turning 29, because I was doing a bunch of nodding while reading these.