I love the combination of apple and cheddar together. It's one of my favorite sweet and salty pairings, only made better in this recipe with the salty addition of ham and the tang of dijon mustard. If you're a fan of grilled cheese or grilled ham and cheese, you're sure to love this version as well.
#Brunchweek: Ham, Apple and Cheddar Melt
- 4 slices hearty Italian bread
- ⅓ lb deli ham sliced thin
- ¼ brick of Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese thinly sliced
- ¼ Lady Alice apple thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
- 1. Place a medium skillet over medium high heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2. Spread butter onto one side of each slice of bread.
- 3. Divide dijon mustard evenly over the bread slices, opposite side of the butter.
- 4. Place a piece of bread butter side down. Arrange 3 thin slices of the cheddar cheese on top, followed by 3-4 slices of the deli ham, then 2-3 slices of the apple, followed by 3 more thin slices of the cheddar cheese. Top mustard side down with another piece of bread.
- 5. Repeat to create the second sandwich.
- 6. Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden. Flip both sandwiches over, reduce the heat to medium low and place a lid on top of the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes more or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- 7. Slice sandwiches and serve immediately.
The cheese gets perfectly stringy and gooey while the apple still maintains that perfect crunch.
Disclaimer: Thank you to the #BrunchWeek sponsors, Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Nielsen-Massey, Rainier Fruit, and Michigan Asparagus for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry. Take a look at what the #BrunchWeek Bloggers are creating today!
Blackberry Mint Bellinis from Sweet Beginnings
Cardamom Rose Cocktail from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Lemon & Blueberry Mocktail from Girl Abroad
Mango Pina Colada from The Spiffy Cookie
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
Cheesy Asparagus Bacon Quiche from The Nifty Foodie
Creamed Asparagus Omelet from Wholistic Woman
Eggs in Hell from kimchi MOM
Roasted Asparagus and Cheddar Frittata from My Catholic Kitchen
Spring Veggie Quiche from A Day in the Life on the Farm
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
Apple Cheddar Cream Cheese Danish from Amy's Cooking Adventures
Apple Cinnamon Bread from It Bakes Me Happy
Apple Waffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
Banana Bread Pancakes from Love and Confections
Blackberry Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls from Pink Cake Plate
Brown Sugar Poptarts from Big Bear's Wife
Creme Brulee French Toast from The Barbee Housewife
Cherry Almond Coffee Cake from The Chef Next Door
Cheddar Yeast Rolls from Family Around the Table
Cinnamon Apple Danish from Nik Snacks
Garlic and Herb Pull Apart Bread from Jane's Adventures in Dinner
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake from Books n' Cooks
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
Country Ham Biscuits with Peach Mustard from Palatable Pastime
Country Skillet from Feeding Big
Ham, Apple and Cheddar Melts from Cookaholic Wife
Smoked Salmon & Herbed Cream Cheese Pizzas from Sarcastic Cooking
Yumbo Sliders from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Rhubarb Crunch from Cooking with Carlee
Apple Crisp Ice Cream from From Gate to Plate
Biscuit Bar with Flavored Sugars from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Low-Fat Apple Coffee Cake from Hardly A Goddess
Thumbprint Donuts from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures