Disclaimer: I received sugar from Imperial Sugar as part of #Choctoberfest to aid in recipe creation. All opinions are 100% my own.
Chocolate Cherry Filled Cupcakes are a delicious take on the classic chocolate and cherry combination. Moist chocolate cupcakes are filled with a sweet cherry preserves and topped with a cherry flavored buttercream frosting. And of course, a maraschino cherry on top!
When you think of what ingredients are typically paired with chocolate, cherry is pretty high up on the list. Tom is a huge fan of those chocolate covered cherries that they sell around the holidays and those were the inspiration for these cupcakes. Since it's me, you know I have a penchant for stuffing cupcakes, and what better to use but a cherry jam?
Cherry pie filling or even a whole (pitted) fresh cherry could work as well, but I really like using jams to fill cupcakes. As I've confessed before, most of the cupcakes I make come from a box mix for the sake of simplicity and time. I changed it up on you all this time though. The cupcake batter is made from scratch and the recipe only makes 6 cupcakes.
Don't let that deter you! The recipe is very easy to make and comes together in no time at all!
WHAT KIND OF FROSTING DO YOU USE ON YOUR CUPCAKES?
I am a huge fan of buttercream frosting. It is very easy to make and only requires a few ingredients - butter, powdered sugar, salt and milk.
Buttercream can be flavored with extracts, juices and jams. It can also be colored with food coloring.
Buttercream is considered a stable frosting, but if you should still refrigerate any cupcakes (or other desserts) topped with buttercream after two days. Refrigerated buttercream frosting will last for up to 1 week.
CHOCOLATE CHERRY FILLED CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
- Cupcakes - all purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk, egg, oil, vanilla, coffee
- Filling - cherry preserves (or jam)
- Frosting - butter, powdered sugar, salt, milk, cherry extract
- Decorating - maraschino cherries with stems
WHY ADD COFFEE TO CHOCOLATE DESSERTS?
Adding coffee to your chocolate desserts really enhances the chocolate flavor. If you've ever tasted plain cocoa powder, you know that it is really bitter on its own, but when you add coffee to it, a chocolate dessert becomes even more chocolate-flavored, with no coffee taste at all.
CHOCOLATE CHERRY FILLED CUPCAKE DIRECTIONS
- For the Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with 6 liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a stand mixer.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, oil, vanilla and coffee together. Pour into the dry ingredients.
- Mix together and then pour into the prepared cupcake pan, filling each ⅔ of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- For the Filling: once cupcakes are cool, use a sharp knife to cut a circle out of the center of each cupcake. Fill with 1 teaspoon cherry preserves. Place the removed cake circle back on top.
- For the Frosting: Add butter to a stand mixer bowl. Beat for 2 minutes, then add in powdered sugar and salt. Slowly add in milk and cherry extract.
- Transfer to a piping bag and pipe frosting on top of cupcakes.
- To Decorate: Pat excess juice from maraschino cherries with a paper towel. Place a maraschino cherry on top of each frosted cupcake.
Chocolate Cherry Filled Cupcakes seemed like a no brainer to share with you for #Choctoberfest, even though they are delicious all of the time. Darken up the frosting with red food coloring or maraschino cherry juice and decorate them for Halloween. Swap out the maraschino cherry on top with a fresh one in the summer.
Don't forget about the amazing #Choctoberfest giveaway. Enter it here.
PRODUCTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Imperial Sugar has provided me with sugar for some time now. They're an amazing #Choctoberfest sponsor! Make sure to enter their Annual Scary Scramble Contest too.
DON'T HAVE TIME TO MAKE THIS RECIPE RIGHT NOW?
SAVE IT TO PINTEREST!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Chocolate Cherry Filled Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup Imperial sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup hot coffee
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Filling:
- 6 teaspoon cherry preserves or jam
For the Frosting:
- 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon cherry extract
- 6 maraschino cherries with stems
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 6 liners. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and coffee together. Pour into the mixer and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pan, filling each cupcake cavity ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
For the Filling:
- Use a knife to cut a small circle out of the center of each cupcake.
- Fill each cupcake with 1 teaspoon cherry preserves.
- Place the removed piece of cake back on top of the cupcake.
For the Frosting:
- Add the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar and salt.
- Add the milk and cherry extract.
- Transfer to a piping bag with a tip and pipe frosting onto cupcakes.
- Pat maraschino cherries with a paper towel to remove excess juice.
- Place on top of the frosted cupcakes.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Leave a Reply