Hot Fudge Chocolate Cupcakes are chocolate cupcakes filled with hot fudge sauce and topped with a peppermint buttercream frosting.
The holidays may be over but that doesn't mean the most delicious pairing of chocolate and peppermint needs to go away. I could easily drink peppermint mocha coffee creamer yearround and if you're like me, these cupcakes are right up your alley.
What are hot fudge chocolate cupcakes?
Hot Fudge Chocolate Cupcakes are a box-mix chocolate cupcake dressed up with a hot fudge sauce filling and topped with a sweet peppermint buttercream frosting. Cupcakes can be garnished with crushed peppermint for extra peppermint flavor. Or if it isn't around the holidays, swap out the frosting for a classic vanilla, a salted caramel or even more chocolate if that's your thing!
- box of chocolate cake mix
- canola oil
- vanilla extract
- jar of hot fudge sauce
- unsalted butter
- powdered sugar
- peppermint extract
- crushed peppermint, optional
First, preheat the oven to 350. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners and set aside.
Then, combine cake mix ingredients as directed. Combine cake mix with eggs, water and oil as instructed on the package, either in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until combined and add in vanilla extract.
Next, bake the cupcakes. Transfer batter to prepared cupcake pans, filling each liner ⅔ of the way full. Bake according to box directions, usually 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
After that, fill the cupcakes with hot fudge sauce. Remove the lid from the jar of hot fudge and microwave for 30-45 seconds until smooth. Cut a hole in the center of each cupcake and spoon in the sauce. Place the cupcake piece back on top.
Then prepare the frosting. Beat butter in a stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Then add in powdered sugar, ½ cup at a time until fully combined. Add in peppermint extract, salt and a splash of milk or cream until frosting reaches your desired consistency.
Finally, frost the cupcakes. Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large tip and pipe frosting onto the cupcakes. If desired, add crushed peppermint on top of the cupcakes.
Store at room temperature for 2 days or refrigerate for 4 days.
- Devil's Fo, Vanilla or even Red Velvet cake mix can replace the chocolate cake mix if desired.
- Swap peppermint frosting for vanilla, salted caramel, chocolate or pretty much any flavor of your choice.
- Replace crushed peppermint on top of the cupcakes with sprinkles if desired.
Use a sharp knife to cut out a hole in the center of the cupcake, tilting the knife on an angle to create a cone shape of cake to remove. Fill the cupcake with your desired filling and place the cone shape of cake back on top to create a solid piece of cake for the frosting to sit.
American buttercream uses a lot of powdered sugar in the recipe. I cut the sweetness by adding salt, sometimes up to ½ teaspoon in recipes making enough frosting to cover 24 cupcakes.
Add a teaspoon of vanilla to the batter. You can also replace the water in cake mix with milk (equal parts).
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Hot Fudge Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 oz jar hot fudge sauce
- 24 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk if needed
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water and canola oil in a stand mixer and mix until batter forms. Then add in vanilla extract.1 box chocolate cake mix, 3 large eggs, 1 cup water, ½ cup canola oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Transfer batter to cupcake pans, filling up each liner ⅔ of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes or according to package directions.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and let cool. Use a sharp knife to cut out the center of the cupcake, cutting on an angle to create a cone shape. Warm hot fudge sauce until spoonable and spoon into cupcake. Place the cone-shaped piece of cupcake bake on top. Repeat with remaining cupcakes.10 oz jar hot fudge sauce
- Add butter to a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Then add in powdered sugar ½ cup at a time. Add in peppermint extract and salt. If frosting is too thick, add in milk to thin to desired consistency.24 tablespoon unsalted butter, 5 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon milk
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large tip and pip frosting onto cupcakes. Sprinkle crushed peppermint on top if desired.¼ cup crushed peppermint