Creamy Basil Chicken with pasta and peas is a creamy, easy weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy.
I recently harvested my basil plant for the last time before the temperatures got too cold for it to survive. As I already have frozen basil and salt packed basil, this last harvest was a small one and perfect to use in this recipe.
what is creamy basil chicken and pasta?
This dish features pan-fried chicken served over pasta. The creamy basil sauce is made from chicken stock, heavy cream, parmesan and spices. To complete the meal, frozen peas are added in when the sauce is almost done cooking.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- chicken breasts or cutlets
- parmesan cheese
- heavy cream
- chicken stock
- fresh basil
- pasta, such as linguine or angel hair
- frozen peas
- olive oil
- seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- For the Chicken: If using chicken breasts, slice in half lengthwise. Pound chicken to an even thickness. Season the chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper on both sides. Melt butter and olive oil in a skillet and brown chicken on both sides until cooked through. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Make the sauce. Add chicken stock to skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Then whisk in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, whisk in the parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flake. Stir occasionally until sauce thickens, then stir in peas and basil, followed by chicken and pasta. Stir until coated.
Servings and Substitutions
This dish is a full meal on it's own, but you can never go wrong serving a salad, garden or caesar, with this dish.
- Replace linguine or angel hair with fettuccine or a noodle like penne.
- Not a fan of peas? Replace with steamed broccoli, green beans or spinach.
Do you love chicken and pasta? Check out my other recipes featuring those ingredients
- Crispy Chicken Cutlets with Butter-Chive Pasta and Arugula Salad
- Sage Butter Chicken and Pasta
- Chicken and Pasta with Asiago Cream Sauce
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Creamy Basil Chicken
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 9 oz linguine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups peas
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Season chicken cutlets with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper on both sides. (If using chicken breasts, slice 2 in half lengthwise and pound to an even thickness, then season)
- Melt butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on both sides until cooked through about 4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and place on a plate. Add the chicken stock to the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits. Then whisk in the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, whisk in the parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir occasionally until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes, then stir in the peas and basil and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken and pasta and stir until coated. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Leave a Reply