Crock Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy is an easy way to make the main entree of Thanksgiving when you're only feeding a few people. It only takes a few hours and a delicious gravy is made from the cooking liquids.
Update: This recipe was originally shared in January 2018. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in November 2022.
Turkey with gravy is such a comfort food to me and this crock pot version could not be easier to make.
What is Crock Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy?
Whether you're looking for a way to serve Thanksgiving dinner to a small group of people or you're just craving easy comfort food, this recipe is sure to please. A bone-in turkey breast is seasoned and cooked in the slow cooker. Then the cooking liquids are turned into a flavorful gravy.
- bone-in turkey breast
- spices: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, ground sage, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper
- all purpose flour
- chicken stock
- unsalted butter
First, line your slow cooker with a liner for easier clean up.
Then, chop up your veggies. Roughly chop onion, celery and carrots and place into the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
Next, create the dry rub for the turkey breast. Combine spice ingredients in a small bowl. Remove the skin from the turkey breast (it stays soft in the slow cooker) and sprinkle the dry rub over the breast.
Then add the turkey to the slow cooker. Place the turkey breast side down on top of the vegetables. Pour in the chicken broth and cut butter into cubes, placing on top of the turkey.
Cook the turkey - cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 3-4 hours until it reaches 165 degrees.
After that, let the turkey rest. Remove the turkey from the slow cooker and let rest. Strain the cooking liquids from the slow cooker and discard the vegetables. If needed, add additional chicken stock until you reach 2 cups of cooking liquid.
Then prepare the gravy. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Then slowly pour in the cooking liquids, a little at a time, while whisking, until combined. Continue until all liquid is added and fully combined. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat and let thicken.
Finally, slice and serve the turkey. Slice turkey breast into pieces. Plate and serve with gravy drizzled on top.
If the turkey breast fits completely, yes it is safe. This recipe uses a 2-3 pound turkey breast in a 6 quart slow cooker. Always ensure the thickest part of the breast reaches 165 degrees F.
Cooking a turkey breast upside down ensures that the meat is really juicy.
In this recipe, it starts on high then is reduced to low for the remainder of the cooking time. As long as the turkey reaches 165 degrees F, you can cook it entirely on low.
A pinch of two of sugar or a splash of cream can reduce bitterness in homemade gravy.
Want to save this recipe for later? Follow me on Pinterest! Rather watch a video? See if I've made this recipe by following me on Tiktok!
Crock Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
- 6 quart slow cooker or larger
- slow cooker liner optional, but for easier clean up
For the Turkey:
- 2-3 lb turkey breast bone-in
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 large carrots roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks roughly chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon butter cut into cubes
For the Dry Rub:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
For the Gravy:
- 2 cups cooking liquid
- 4 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the onion, carrots and celery in the bottom of a 6 quart crock pot. Pour the chicken broth on top.1 onion, 2 large carrots, 2 celery stalks
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the dry rub.1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon ground sage, ½ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper
- Remove the skin from the turkey breast as it will not get crispy in the crock pot.
- Rub the dry rub mixture all over the turkey breast and place breast side down in the crock pot, making sure that it sits up on the vegetables. Add the cubes of butter on top of the turkey breast.2-3 lb turkey breast, ½ cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoon butter
- Cook on high for 1 hour then turn to low and cook 4-5 hours more or until a thermometer inserted in the center of the breast reaches a temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove the turkey breast from the oven and allow to rest on a cutting board for a few minutes.
- Strain 2 cups of the cooking liquid from the crock pot and discard any solids.
- Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and then slowly stream in the cooking liquid, whisking constantly, until a gravy of your desired consistency is reached. Season to taste with salt and pepper.2 cups cooking liquid, 4 tablespoon all purpose flour, 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the turkey breast into slices, plate and drizzle the gravy on top.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.