Gouda Bacon Cheese Burgers are a hearty beef burger topped with smoke gouda cheese, crispy bacon and caramelized onions.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in August 2012. The recipe and photographs have been updated and republished in July 2021.
If you’re looking for a big, hearty and flavorful burger, let me introduce you to my friend, the Gouda Bacon Cheeseburger. He’s made up of your standard beef patty that’s grilled to perfection. Then he’s topped with melty gouda cheese, crispy bacon and caramelized onions. Oh, and some lettuce and tomato.
This is not just a burger, it’s a meal. Seriously, this cheese burger is so filling that you almost don’t need to serve it with fries or any other side dish.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- ground beef
- burger buns
- Worcestershire sauce
- steak seasoning
- smoked gouda cheese
- mayo, bbq sauce or other condiments of your choice
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- Start off by preparing the burgers. Combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning into a bowl. Form into 4 large patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Then get your onions started. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat then add in the onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes until the onions are caramelized.
- Next, grill your burgers. Grill burgers for 5-6 minutes per side or until it reaches your desired temperature. Add cheese in the last minute or two of cooking.
- Finally, assemble the burgers! Layer lettuce and a tomato slice on the bottom half of the bun. Top it with the burger, followed by the bacon and finally the caramelized onions. Slather the condiment of your choice onto the top part of the bun and add it to the burger.
FAQ’s for gouda bacon cheese burgers
- What condiments go good with gouda cheese? BBQ sauce, especially a smoky if you’re using smoked gouda. Mustard, in any variety is also great as is mayo if you like a milder flavor.
- What fat percentage is best for burgers? Burgers with 15-20 percent fat (so 80/20 or 85/15) have the right balance of fat and make for a great burger.
- How do I get a juicy hamburger? First, use the right kind of beef, like ground chuck. Then make sure to indent the center of the patty with your thumb before grilling it. Only flip the burger over once and never use the spatula to smash the burger down.
Serving Suggestions and other great burgers
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Gouda Bacon Cheese Burger
- 1 lb 80/20 ground chuck
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp steak seasoning
- 1 large white onion thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon cooked
- 4 slices smoked gouda cheese
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 4 burger buns
- Combine ground chuck, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning into a bowl. Form into 4 large patties and use your thumb to press an indent in the center of the burger. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Then add in the sliced onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized.
- Heat a grill to high heat and grill burgers for 5-6 minutes on each side or until they reach your desired level of cooking. Add smoked gouda cheese to the burger in the last 1-2 minutes of cooking.
- Assemble burger by placing lettuce and tomato on the bottom bun. Top with the burger, a slice of bacon and heaping tablespoon of caramelized onions. Spread BBQ sauce, mayo or condiment of your choice on the top half of the bun, then complete assembly.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.