We finally got a rare, bright and sunny day and I wanted to take full advantage of that and make a bright and sunny recipe as well. I still have a few packages of scallops in the freezer that my aunt gave me last fall that I knew I needed to use up soon and when I saw this recipe I knew it would be perfect.
- 12 large sea scallops
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. Fresh grated ginger
- salt and pepper
1. Heat a grill or grill plate to high heat.
2. Rinse the scallops in cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of the scallops with salt and pepper.
3. Cut off the ends of the orange, then slice into ½ inch thick slices. Take 4 of the slices and cut in half, then in half again, making 4 small orange wedges. Squeeze 2 tablespoons of juice from the remainder of the orange.
4. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, honey and ginger.
5. Alternate between putting a scallop and an orange wedge on skewers.
5. Spray non-stick spray on grill rack/plates. Grill scallops for 2 minutes on each side, then baste with the orange-ginger-honey mixture and grill for another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve immediately.
I've never grilled scallops before this recipe but that is going to change in the future. It takes no time at all and unlike pan-searing them where you're never sure if they're caramelized enough on the bottom, these are definitely done after a minute or two.
I served this with fried rice but it would also be great with a salad or other lighter options. I can't wait to make this again!