These adorable little buggers had been staring at me on Pinterest forever now and I finally had an excuse to make them. Once I finished them, Tom immediately said that he was jealous he didn't get minions for his birthday.
Knowing how busy I was going to be, at that kids wouldn't even notice the difference between boxed and homemade, I opted to go for the prepared route. You could easily make your favorite chocolate or vanilla cupcake from scratch, as well as making an icing and tinting it blue.
Source: various images on Pinterest
Servings: 24 cupcakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Add cake mix, eggs, water and oil to a bowl or stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until no lumps remain.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake pans, filling each one about ¾ of the way full.
4. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Transfer to a wire rack to allow to cool completely.
6. Spread the blue raspberry frosting on top of the cooled cupcakes. Use about 1 ½ tablespoons of frosting per cupcake.
7. Create the minions by slicing each Twinkie in half. Dab a spot of decorating gel on the back of each candy eye. Place on the Twinkie. Use the remaining gel to draw the minion "goggles" and a smile. Repeat on remaining minions.
8. Press each minion down into the frosting on the cupcake. Gently press 1-3 chocolate sprinkles into the top of the Twinkie creating minion hair.
Aren't these just incredibly adorable? I need an excuse to make them again, they're just too cute!