Cheesesteak Eggrolls, made with thinly sliced beef, cheese, bell peppers and onions are a tasty appetizer made in the air fryer. Serve them up with a spicy dipping sauce!
Update: This recipe was originally posted in November 2011. The recipe and photos have been updated and republished in December 2021.
I have always been a fan of egg rolls, whether they are the classic kind you get with Chinese take out, or something more creative like a cheesesteak in an eggroll. But I have never been a fan of frying them in oil. Which is why this recipe is so great! The air fryer replaces a skillet or deep fryer and the egg rolls are just as delicious!
Cheesesteak eggrolls can be served as an appetizer for a holiday or on game day, as an easy weeknight dinner!
What are air fryer cheesesteak eggrolls?
These egg rolls are made from shaved beef, provolone cheese, bell peppers and onions that are cooked and wrapped up in an egg roll before being "fried" to a crispy, golden brown color in the air fryer. I serve these egg rolls with a spicy dipping sauce made from ketchup, honey, Sriracha and mayonnaise.
- thinly shaved beef
- provolone cheese
- bell pepper
- olive oil
- eggroll wrapper
Start off with your vegetables - thinly slice the bell peppers and onions. Then add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add in the bell peppers and onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender-crisp.
Then add in the shaved beef. Add the shaved beef to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes more, stirring frequently and using a spatula to crumble up the meat.
Then transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add in the provolone cheese and stir to combine.
Next, prepare and assemble the egg rolls. Lay down the wrapper with a corner at the top, making a diamond shape. Lightly beat the egg and brush the egg around the edges of the wrapper. Add about ¼ cup of the meat and veggie mixture into the center of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper over the mixture, then bring in the two sides. Roll the wrapper from the bottom upward to the top to form an egg roll. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
After that, brush the egg rolls with the egg wash. Lightly brush the remaining egg wash on top of the egg rolls. This will ensure that they get brown and crispy.
Next, air fry the egg rolls. Heat your air fryer to 350 degrees. Place the egg rolls in a single layer in the basket and air fry for 10 minutes. Halfway through, or when the air fryer tells you, flip the egg rolls over. Then increase the heat to 400 and air fry for 2-3 minutes more until browned and crispy.
Meanwhile, prepare your dipping sauce. Combine ketchup, honey, Sriracha and mayo together in a bowl.
Finally, serve your egg rolls. Remove egg rolls from the air fryer and arrange on a plate. Serve with the dipping sauce. To cool egg rolls quickly, slice each egg roll in half, on a diagonal.
Tips for the perfect air fryer egg roll
- Cover egg roll wrappers with a damp paper towel to ensure they don't dry out while you are working with them.
- The egg wash around the edges of the wrapper is what makes it stick together. You can replace this with water and spray the rolled wrappers with cooking spray if you don't have an egg for the egg wash.
- Roll the wrapper up tightly to ensure all of the filling stays inside and they don't open up when in the air fryer.
- Air frying the egg rolls at two temperatures ensures that they get extra crispy, like ones that are traditionally fried.
Yes, reheat at 350 for 2-3 minutes. This also works for any type of egg roll that needs reheating.
I have both air fryers made by the Instant Pot company. I've made these egg rolls in the 6 quart basket version and in the 10 quart one.
Substitutions and Additions
- Cheese: replace provolone with mozzarella, cheddar or even American cheese.
- Veggies: omit the bell pepper and onions for a veggie-free version if desired
- Sauce: Sriracha ranch, sweet chili sauce, hot sauce and ketchup, etc. are all great dipping sauce options
- Seasonings: if desired, season the veggies and meat with onion and garlic powder when cooking
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Air Fryer Cheesesteak Eggrolls
- Air fryer
Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- 1 lb shaved beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium red pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup provolone cheese chopped
- 1 large egg
- 12 egg roll wrappers
Spicy Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon Sriracha or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- Thinly slice the bell peppers and onion. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and then add in the vegetables. Cook until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.1 medium red pepper, 1 medium green pepper, 1 medium onion, 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Add shaved beef to the skillet and cook for another 4-5 minutes, breaking up the beef with a spatula, until cooked through.1 lb shaved beef
- Remove from the skillet and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the chopped provolone cheese.1 cup provolone cheese
- Lightly beat the egg in a small bowl.1 large egg
- Lay out the eggroll wrapper with a corner facing upward, creating a diamond shape. Brush the edges of the wrapper with the egg wash.12 egg roll wrappers
- Spoon ¼ cup of the meat and vegetable mixture into the center of the wrapper. Fold up the bottom corner of the wrapper over the mixture. Then fold in both side pieces to overlap.
- Rolling from the bottom of the wrapper, roll upward until the top corner of the wrapper is sealed to the wrapper. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers.
- Brush the remainder of the egg wash lightly on top of the wrappers so they get nice and crispy.
- Heat the air fryer to 350 degrees and cook egg rolls in a single layer for 10 minutes, flipping over halfway through, or when the air fryer tells you too. Increase the temperature to 400 and air fry for another 2-3 minutes to ensure egg rolls are crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dipping sauce. Combine ketchup, honey, Sriracha and mayo together in a bowl.¼ cup ketchup, 2 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoon Sriracha, 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- Place egg rolls on a plate and serve with dipping sauce.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.