I searched for some recipes but didn't find any that looked overly appealing so I decided to create my own recipe. I make a lot of things from scratch and for the most part, I prefer it to be that way. But there are just some times where convenience wins out and in those cases, I keep a few boxes of boxed cupcake mix (the small ones that only make 12 cupcakes) in the pantry. I've never been able to find these in the regular grocery store, only in the Dollar Tree which is kind of weird. But, the expiration dates are far away and the boxes aren't damaged and why wouldn't you spend $1 to make 12 cupcakes?
Source: A Cookaholic Wife Creation
Printer Friendly (frosting too)
- 9 oz. box yellow cake mix and ingredients to make them
- 4 canned pineapple rings, minced
1. Preheat the oven to 350 or the temperature listed on the box.
2. Line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
3. Combine cake mix and necessary ingredients to form a batter. Divide into the cupcake liners.
4. Drop about 1 tablespoon of the minced pineapple into the center of the cupcake.
5. Bake 16-18 minutes or as directed on the package.
6. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from: All Recipes
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (fat-free works)
- 2 - 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2-3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 3 pineapple rings
1. Add the cream cheese to the bowl of your stand mixer. Beat until smooth.
2. Add in the shredded coconut, vanilla and salt. Then add in the powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until fully combined.
3. Pour in heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time to thin out frosting as needed.
4. Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with your desired tip.
Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Slice pineapple rings into quarters and place on top of the frosting. If frosting is too soft, refrigerate cupcakes for 1-2 hours. Only add pineapple quarter before serving.
These were so quick to make and SO summery. I opted not to include toasted coconut on top of the cupcakes as well, but I think it would have been a nice addition. The coconut in the frosting gets a little bit lost and that would have pulled it out nicely.
This post linked at: Tuesday Talent Show, Tuesday's Table and Time to Sparkle
I love pineapple cupcakes too! Making you own recipe is definitely much better than any you would have found on pinterest.