Small Patch Pumpkin Cupcakes is a homemade cupcake batter, making 12 pumpkin cupcakes, topped with a cinnamon buttercream frosting.
Disclaimer: This recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek. I received product samples from our sponsors. All opinions are 100% my own.
It's pretty obvious that I love making cupcakes, but sometimes I just want a small batch of them instead of two dozen of them. These Small Batch Pumpkin Cupcakes are perfect for that. The recipe can easily be cut in half if you only need 6 cupcakes or doubled if you want to make 24 cupcakes!
Pumpkin is a mild flavor and can easily get lost in recipes with stronger flavor profiles, but not in these cupcakes. The cupcake is full of pumpkin flavor and it pairs really well with the sweetness of the cinnamon cream cheese frosting without being too much or too little.
Confession: the cream cheese frosting is my favorite part of a pumpkin cupcake!
WHAT FROSTING GOES WITH PUMPKIN CUPCAKES?
Cream cheese! Mine is dressed up a little bit with the addition of cinnamon, but cream cheese is the most popular frosting flavor when it comes to a pumpkin cupcake. If you aren't a cream cheese fan, you could also do a vanilla or chocolate frosting. I'd stick with a classic buttercream variety and not a Swiss one for these cupcakes.
PUMPKIN CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
- For the Cupcakes: sugar, brown sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, pumpkin puree, vanilla, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
- For the Frosting: butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt, milk
- For the Decorations: sprinkles!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN CUPCAKES
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Whisk the sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil together in a stand mixer. Add eggs, one at a time followed by the pumpkin and vanilla. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add into the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Pour batter into cupcake pan, filling each halfway. Bake for 20-23 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
HOW TO MAKE CREAM CHEESE BUTTERCREAM
- Combine butter and cream cheese in a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for a few minutes until fully combined.
- Add sugar, cinnamon, salt and milk. Mix until combined.
- Transfer into piping bag and decorate cupcakes.
PRODUCTS USED IN SMALL BATCH PUMPKIN CUPCAKES
- Dixie Crystals Powdered Sugar
- Adam's Vanilla Extract
- Sweets & Treats Cupcake Liners
- Wilton sprinkles
Apparently my coworkers are not big pumpkin cupcake fans as these cupcakes did not disappear as quickly as everything else that I brought in that week. I commented on it and one of them said that they just weren't basic enough. 🤣 Luckily I left most of these at home and Tom eats pumpkin cupcakes!
Small Batch Pumpkin Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon Adam's vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- Combine the sugar, brown sugar and vegetable oil together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed. Add in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the pumpkin puree and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the stand mixer and mix until combined.
- Divide batter into the cupcake pan, filling each cavity halfway full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- Combine butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until fully combined. Add in the powdered sugar, cinnamon, milk and salt and mix until combined.
- Add additional milk if the frosting is too thick,.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Happy Halloween! It's October which means it's time for Spooky Season and this year's #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear's Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year's #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can't wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we're sharing!
Plus, don't forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a "Dinner and Dessert Set" - ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack - including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6- Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th - October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam's Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- Pet Ghost Pudding Cups from Big Bear's Wife
- Hocus Pocus Cupcakes from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Monster Strawberry Cupcakes from 4 Sons R Us
- Easy Day of the Dead Cake from Pastry Chef Online
- Small Batch Pumpkin Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
- Bloody Red Eyed Velvet Cupcakes from Our Good Life
- Zombie Dirt Cups from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Cauldron Cupcakes from Jen Around the World
- Caramel Apple Blondies from Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Halloween Hash Snack Mix from Sweet Beginnings
- Haunted Halloween Dessert Tray from For the Love of Food
- Oozing Caramel Truffle from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Ghostly Freakyshake from Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Cheese Ball ~ Festive Halloween Cheeseboard from West Via Midwest
- Candy Corn White Russian from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Monster Pumpkin Spice Caramel Cream Cheese Dip from Katie’s Cucina
- Spiced Chocolate Monster Truffles from My Sweet Zepol
- Halloween Bat Sugar Cookies from Intelligent Domestications