Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes are the perfect summer treat. A lemony cupcake filled with lemon curd and topped with strawberry buttercream frosting.
About a month ago, we had a party to celebrate the new deck that Tom and his father had built.
It was mostly going to be a cookout, with burgers and hot dogs and the intent to keep it pretty simple, but if you know anything about me, you know that I can't manage to get out of the kitchen and will keep creating more and more recipes simply because I have a bunch of people to feed. I think I managed to keep it pretty simple, but of course I had to make desserts.
These Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes taste just like summer and were the hit of the party. Everyone was raving about how delicious they were and how much they really like the lemon curd in the middle and that the buttercream frosting wasn't too sweet.
You know how sometimes you can try a dessert with buttercream on it and it's so sweet and sugary that it just overwhelms the rest of the flavors in the dessert? Yuck. I hate that! So, to counteract the sweetness of the buttercream, I always, always, always add a teaspoon of salt. You'd never know it was even there! (#Foodbloggersecrets) 😃
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 box lemon cake mix and ingredients to make
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Adam's Lemon Extract
- ¾ cup lemon curd store-bought or homemade
For the Frosting:
- 3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoon strawberry gelatin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon milk or cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Add the cake mix and ingredients from the box to a stand mixer.
- Mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add in lemon zest and extract and mix until combined.
- Divide batter into paper liners, filling each about ⅔ of the way full.
- Bake according to box directions, usually 18-20 minutes.
- Transfer cupcakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- Use a paring knife to cut a small cone shape out of the top of each cupcake. Fill with a dollop of lemon curd. Place the removed cake piece back on top.
- Prepare the frosting by adding the butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium high speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Add in the strawberry gelatin powder, salt and milk.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag and pipe frosting on top of cupcakes.
- Garnish with sprinkles, fresh strawberries or lemon slices.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.
Have I talked about how much I love making cupcakes? They're definitely one of my favorite desserts to make, especially when I can fill the inside of the cupcake with a curd or jam because it's a little surprise that no one is expecting. These cupcakes wouldn't have had as much flavor without the use of Adam's Lemon Extract or Sweets & Treat's Sprinkles, both of which were sponsors for #SummerDessertWeek.
My favorite summer dessert is the traditional red white and blue flag cake.
Perfect summer flavors and in cupcake form!
My favorite summer drink in a cupcake! I can't wait to try this treat!
Lemonade is my favorite summer refresher, so these cupcakes look amazing to me
Oh these sound so good right now. I love that flavor. It's so summery!
Love the lemon curd filling in your cupcakes. They are so refreshing.
Cupcakes that taste like strawberry lemonade sound like they'd be right up my alley!
What a delightful cupcake flavor. I cannot wait to make these.
This flavor combination just screams summer and that frosting looks so fluffy and delish
Your cupcake frosting is perfection, not to mention the flavors in these cupcakes.
Cheese Curd In Paradise
I love the lemon filling in your cupcakes! These sounds delicious- I also love the tip to use a little salt to avoid too sweet buttercream!
These beauties are calling my name! I am always ready for a cupcake and strawberry lemonade happens to be on of my favorite summer flavor combos!
Strawberry and lemon together make the perfect combination in my book!
The strawberry lemonade cupcakes are fabulous! The lemon curd is beyond delicious!
I love cherry cheesecake
my favorite summer dessert is strawberry shortcake
LOVE the lemon filling, and I'll have to remember your tip for cutting down the sweetness of buttercream.
Jaida ~ Sweet Beginnings
I love strawberry and lemon together, and I really love the lemon curd filling in these cupcakes!
Such a summery and delicious combination of flavors! And those sprinkles are super fun.
Liz @ Books n' Cooks
This fruit flavor combo just screams summer!