Easy Cheesy Taco Calzones is a recipe everyone is sure to love. Seasoned beef and cheese are baked inside refrigerated pizza dough for the perfect calzone.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in May 2013. The recipe has been rewritten, photos have been updated and the recipe republished in December 2021.
When you get tired of making regular tacos for Taco Tuesday, switch it up with these easy cheesy taco calzones, made with taco-seasoned ground beef and shredded cheese baked inside pizza dough! Everyone can choose their favorite toppings and dippers, making this recipe a winner for the whole family!
These taco calzones can be made smaller to be an appetizer for game day or a party, or can be made full sized and served as a meal.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- ground beef
- shredded taco cheese
- refrigerated pizza dough (in the tube)
- packet of taco seasoning
- optional toppings and dips: taco sauce, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, green onions
🔪Instructions for this recipe
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Then, prepare the dough. Roll out the pizza dough and cut into 8 evenly sized squares. (4 from each roll of dough) Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Next, cook the ground beef. Cook the beef until browned, drain grease and follow instructions on the back of the seasoning packet for seasoning and water.
- Then, assemble the taco calzones. Place ground beef and cheese on one side of each square. Fold the other side over, crimp edges with a fork, and cut slits in the top for steam to escape.
- Next, bake taco calzones for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Finally, serve with your favorite taco toppings!
FAQ's and Substitutions
- Can I cook taco calzones in the air fryer? Yep! Cook at 325 for 6-9 minutes.
- Is there a difference between pizza dough and calzone dough? No, calzone dough is pizza dough.
- I don't have ground beef. No problem - use ground turkey or even shredded (cooked) chicken instead.
- What other cheeses can I use? Cheddar or colby would be great in this recipe.
- Can I make my own pizza dough? If you have the time, sure! If not, another alternative is the thin-crust refrigerated pizza dough, or the packages of crescent dough.
Check out some other recipes I think you'll love:
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Easy Cheesy Taco Calzone
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1.75 oz taco seasoning packet
- 2 cups taco cheese shredded
- 2 tubes refrigerated pizza dough
- salsa, sour cream, taco sauce, guacamole
- shredded lettuce, tomato, green onions
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Roll out both tubes of the pizza dough and cut into 4 squares each (8 total squares). Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and cook the ground beef until browned. Drain the grease and stir in the taco seasoning packet and water (as directed on back of packet). Stir, until all meat is coated.
- Spread a layer of the ground beef down the size of one pizza dough square. Add ¼ cup cheese on top. Fold the empty side of the dough over and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut slits into the top of the dough so steam can escape. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake calzones for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite dippers, like salsa, sour cream, taco sauce or guacamole. And/or serve with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes or green onions.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.