Of course, since this is 98% vegetables and 2% bacon, it was what I consider a 'weekend lunch meal'. Otherwise known as a meal that I can make for myself with no intentions to share with Tom since he'd just turn his nose up at it anyway.
Tomato Stack Salad with Corn and Avocado
Source: Cooking Light, August 2012
- 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled (Oscar Mayer)
- ¼ cup corn kernels, cooked
- ½ avocado, peeled and sliced
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced ½" thick
- 1 tsp. mayonnaise (Kraft)
- ½ tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tsp. fresh chives, chopped
- splash of milk
- splash of apple cider
- salt and pepper
1. Remove the center and seeds of the tomato leaving the skin and outer ring intact.
2. Whisk together the mayonnaise, milk and apple cider. Stir in the basil and chives.
3. Create a tower with the tomato slices and fill the inside with corn and avocado slices.
4. Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the top of the tomato. Top with bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
I didn't feel like dragging out the Griddler just for a small amount of corn, so I just steamed the corn instead of grilling it for this recipe. I'm sure grilling it would enhance the flavors quite a bit, but I was really pleased with the way this turned out. I just added the extra corn and avocado slices that didn't fit into the tomato tower to my plate. I wasn't expecting this to be as filling as it was, but I could easily eat this for a meal on a regular basis. If only I could convince the carnivore to as well...
I linked up this recipe at This Week's Cravings, Mangia Mondays, My Meatless Monday and Melt in Your Mouth Monday! Check it out!
The Home Cook
I've had my eye on this since getting the magazine but can't imagine serving it for dinner. But it looks so, so good.
This looks incredible, love the picture. I guess I need to finish my Cooking Light because I never got to this recipe. I'll have to make it ASAP though.
It wasn't quite filling enough for dinner, but it was an amazing lunch. But even this with a grilled chicken breast or something...amazing.
Amber @ The Cook's Sister
I share your love for tomatoes. I've been known to eat them straight from the garden (no salt added). This meal looks amazing!
I love this. I have a feeling, I could make this for lunch daily and be happy.
This is being featured at My Meatless Mondays. I am so glad you shared it with us.
Looks fabulous! What a great pic and I love your blog layout! Found you via your feature on Meatless Mondays. I'm having an MM hop too if you'd like to link-up there: http://jessica-healthymommyhealthybaby.blogspot.com/2012/09/meatless-monday-grilled-carrots-and.html. Now following !!
Thanks! I just linked up. 🙂