Mango Habanero Chicken Sandwich is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy from the mango habanero hot sauce, pickled jalapenos and pineapple.
Update: This recipe was originally posted in May 2010. The recipe has been updated as of December 2020.
If you are looking for a spicy chicken sandwich, you have come to the right place! It has a sweet heat that you will have your taste buds singing but your mouth coming back for more with it’s perfect balance of pineapple, jalapenos and mango habanero hot sauce.
Many, many moons ago when Tom and I lived in the middle of nowhere, we had limited options for take out, with Domino’s being one of them. They had just released this sandwich and I really wanted to try it. Once I had it, I knew I needed to recreate it to have any time we wanted.
🥘 Ingredients for this recipe
- chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- mango habanero hot sauce
- pineapple (fresh or canned)
- pickled jalapenos
- provolone cheese
- sub rolls
- olive oil
🔪 Instructions for this recipe
- For the Chicken: heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook chicken on both sides until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with the mango habanero hot sauce.
- Assemble the Sandwich: Layer provolone cheese on sub roll and lightly toast, then add chicken tossed in hot sauce, pickled jalapenos and pineapple. Drizzle with more hot sauce if desired.
- Bake the sandwich: Return the sandwich to the oven for 3 minutes or until heated through.
Substitutions and Serving Suggestions
- Mango Habanero Hot Sauce can be hard to find in some grocery stores. Any fruit + habanero or plain habanero sauce will work in this recipe. I made my own peach and pineapple habanero hot sauce and I can’t wait to try those out in this recipe.
- Pickled Jalapenos can be skipped for a less spicy sandwich, or if you really love heat, use a freshly sliced raw jalapeno. (Tip: you can boil a whole jalapeno for a few minutes to keep the crunch but remove some of the heat)
- The Domino’s version of this sandwich has a shredded cheddar and more provolone on top the sandwich, which I think would make a great addition.
- Serve the Mango Habanero Chicken Sandwich with fries, onion rings, a side salad, coleslaw or potato salad.
Love spicy chicken? Me too! Check out some of my other favorites:
- Nashville Hot Chicken
- Spicy BBQ Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Hawaiian Chicken Skewers
- Baked Firecracker Chicken Meatballs
Want to save this recipe for later? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board and follow me for more delicious recipes!
Mango Habanero Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup mango habanero hot sauce or more, to taste
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- ½ cup pineapple chopped
- ¼ cup pickled jalapenos
- 4 sub rolls
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice chicken into 2-inch pieces. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Cook chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Transfer to a bowl and toss to coat with the hot sauce.
- Add 2 slices of provolone cheese to each sub roll and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes or until cheese is just melted.
- Layer chicken, chopped pineapple pieces and pickled jalapenos onto the sandwich. Drizzle with additional hot sauce if desired. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until just heated through.
Recipes on Cookaholic Wife are for information purposes only. Nutritional Data provided has not been evaluated by a nutritionist.